Closed, overear, unamped 100~150$/Eur headphones with decent to good isolation
Mar 3, 2017 at 8:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

DeeCee

New Head-Fier
Looking for office cans, stuck with too many choices and not enough money to buy them all. Headphone buying guide seems dated

I have owned CAL!(returned because they were too small and flimsy and sound felt a bit too soft) Takstar Pro80 - liked the sound, but they felt rattly and hardplasticky, now have DT990, could have a bit less treble, but else i love them - build, comfort, details, bass also have Senn HD419  - i cut off that cloth over drivers after first 30 min, before that felt like i was listening music from a toilet in a concert - now use them when cycling.

For sound signature i like DT990, but would like to try smth else - detailed, with a decent or better bass, not as much highs. Tested work pc - can drive DT990-250Ω loud enough, but the sound feels a bit lazy and lacks control. because of my HD419 i think veiled sound isnt for me. I listen about everything but bieber, but mostly listen to melodic side of metal.

What im after:
no amp
good bass, but not overpowering
detailed
isolation
decent build
comfortable
less highs than DT990

After much digging Ive shortlisted to some choices, but im open to other options

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Beyerdynamic DT770[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Seems safest choice, great sound, isolation, build and comfort, supposed to be close enough to DT990, but i have DT990 and i kind of want to try smth else. also i would have to get 32[/color]Ω[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)] or 80[/color]Ω, came highly rated in metal headphone thread.

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Beyerdynamic DT150[/color]

Same price category as 770, build looks solid enough to use for self defense, but doubt work pc can power them, also they are old and kind of low key, some good reviews though

Soundmagic HP150

Good reviews, afraid about durability and shallow cups, i use glasses. From reviews sound seems to be what im after, isolation supposed to be decent, but im afraid of them breaking.

M40x and M50x

Seems to be kind of "Default" choice, great quality, and sound, but lacks comfort, needs pad replacement, listened to friends m50x for a bit seemed ok but comfort wasnt the best, but after watching certain reviews, M40x seems like it could be better idea, still would need to order pads. also i dont like default choices

Sennheisers 

Didnt look much at them, have feeling that they are better for open headphones and if the veiled sennheiser sound is anything like HD419 i dont like it. Sennheiser HD 280 PROreviews complained about comfort

Shure 840 and Sony 7506

From reviews they are highly rated, but im afraid they would be a bit boring since im listening for fun not work, also not fan of the looks.

Brainwavz HM5 and co

availability problems here - not the most solid build.

T40 or T50 Rp mk3

really doubt work pc can drive them, are lacking in very low end, lack comfort, not sure about isolation. but would really love to try orthodynamics

Mar 3, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #2 of 2
If you are concerned about the highs, I don't think the DT770 is going to be for you. It can definitely be on the sibilant side. I agree that the HP150 is probably the best sonic bet. And I believe if you take good care of them, durability won't be an issue. I do like the M40X, which I own. It could work for you. There is one more you might check out and that is the Samson Z55. It's also a very nice headphone in this general price range you might read about .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back