Closed, Over/On-the-ear Headphones, (preferably) under $100 for classical and rock music
Feb 15, 2016 at 2:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

knowsnothing773

New Head-Fier
Been following the forum since quite a while now, and after reading a lot of good recommendations, I got terribly confused and decided to take the initiative and post here. I need closed headphones for mostly office use via my computer, or iPod/Mobile Phone. My music taste is eclectic, ranging from Beethoven to Beatles, to Rush and Tool, to Miles Davis and Snarky Puppy.. I don't dwell much in electronic music though. I have been using Sennheiser HD 428 since last 3-4 years. Now I would like to take it up a level and buy better cans, albeit with a tight budget. Hope I have given enough information, and looking forward to some suggestions, thank you. 

Feb 15, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 10
  Been following the forum since quite a while now, and after reading a lot of good recommendations, I got terribly confused and decided to take the initiative and post here. I need closed headphones for mostly office use via my computer, or iPod/Mobile Phone. My music taste is eclectic, ranging from Beethoven to Beatles, to Rush and Tool, to Miles Davis and Snarky Puppy.. I don't dwell much in electronic music though. I have been using Sennheiser HD 428 since last 3-4 years. Now I would like to take it up a level and buy better cans, albeit with a tight budget. Hope I have given enough information, and looking forward to some suggestions, thank you. 

In my opinion your best, most neutral option for your preferences and at the price-point is the Takstar Pro 80 (also known as the Gemini HSR 1000). Shop both because usually one is meaningfully cheaper than the other.

Feb 15, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #3 of 10
Creative Aurvana Live! version 1 or if you're willing to wait, the E-MU walnut that just dropped on massdrop (would be march before it was delivered though).

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/emu-walnut-lightweight-headphones

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-EF0060-Aurvana-Live-Headphones/dp/B000ZJZ7OA

Feb 15, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #4 of 10
EMU Walnut looks amazing. I could wait till March, I guess... Takstar Pro seems to be not available in India currently. Thanks for the suggestions! A friend recommended me Sennheiser HD 215, Audiotech ATHM40x and Shure srh440. Any views on those?

Feb 15, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #5 of 10
  EMU Walnut looks amazing. I could wait till March, I guess... Takstar Pro seems to be not available in India currently. Thanks for the suggestions! A friend recommended me Sennheiser HD 215, Audiotech ATHM40x and Shure srh440. Any views on those?

If you are looking for the most neutral of the three, that would probably be the Senn. Because I favor neutrality, that would be my preference. The m40x is V-shaped to some degree. The Shure tends to emphasize the upper registers and its treble has been described by some of its owners as "honky." In any event, the three cans all have different sound signatures. Something for you to evaluate. I do know that 215 owners do seem as a group  to be very happy with their headphones, for whatever that is worth. More for you to digest... One door closes, three more open... Welcome to headphone land.

Feb 16, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #6 of 10

If you are looking for the most neutral of the three, that would probably be the Senn. Because I favor neutrality, that would be my preference. The m40x is V-shaped to some degree. The Shure tends to emphasize the upper registers and its treble has been described by some of its owners as "honky." In any event, the three cans all have different sound signatures. Something for you to evaluate. I do know that 215 owners do seem as a group  to be very happy with their headphones, for whatever that is worth. More for you to digest... One door closes, three more open... Welcome to headphone land.

Haha indeed.. I've used two headphones by now, and both were Sennheiser. So I guess I am kinda biased towards it. Will try some of the above-mentioned cans (whichever I could get my hands on) and see for myself then. Thanks a lot!

Feb 16, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #7 of 10
  A useful trick might be to grab the Kingston Hyper-X gaming headset if you'd like to try the Takstar Pro 80, it is the same headphone! I bet the Hyper-X is available everywhere! :)

Otherwise, you can find a Sennheiser Momentum for less than $100 used if you scour a bit. The Creative Aurvana Live does sound pretty good but the bass is a bit loose and its isolation is pretty awful. Both the CAL! and Momentum have some possible comfort issues. Both of which are most likely if you have larger than average sized ears.

Cool. I should be able to find hyper-x around here, thanks :D Will look into momentum too :)

Feb 17, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #9 of 10
  isk hd9999. HyperX/Pro80 is good all rounder, but imo with your budget you could find something better than those for classical

Any suggestions regarding better headphones for classical in my budget? 
Currently I have narrowed down the list to Koss PRODJ110, CAL!, and Shure srh440.. Senn 215 seemed a little bulky to me :/ Are there any reliable reviews on EMU Walnut? I would like to know if it's worth choosing that over CAL! (being almost the same and all).. 

(Edited the list)

Feb 22, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #10 of 10
Superlux 662 maybe? I have a Kingston Cloud and a Samson SR950 (Superlux 662 clone), both under 100$ and I vastly prefer the Samson for classical. The isk HD9999 driver specs look identical to the Samson/Superlux, but they have different exterior design so I'm not really sure they use the same driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back