Closed, over ear headphone under $100, also gaming
Oct 7, 2013 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

asfbr

New Head-Fier
So I'm looking through some threads, but I can't quite determine whether the headphone I'm looking at are a good fit for me.

I'm looking for a closed, over ear headphone under $100 that is good for rock and electronic music I guess, but also good enough for gaming (I don't really know much about headphones, but I guess that for gaming I would really a good stage??). I'm in a bit of a hurry because I need to order in the next few hours so I can get it on time. Must have in stock and be sold by Amazon, please.

I don't know much about music types (do I know anything well? lol), but I listen to:
  1. The Allman Brothers, CCR
  2. Daft Punk, Moby, Jamiroquai
  3. Deep Purple, Pink Floyd,Led Zeppelin
  4. Def Leppard,  Queens of the stone age, Ratt, Van Halen, Supertramp
  5. Ennio Morricone
  6. Muse, The Killers, Strokes

Please help me out, I guess that's kind of Rock'ish and electronic?
Gaming would mostly first person shooters and racing so I need some good spacial awareness.

I'm using right now Sennheiser 202's, so I'm looking at this price range to gradually increase the quality before I go nuts on the high end stuff.

Cheers!

Oh, almost forgot, here are some models I'm seeing, really open to any other suggestions
  1. Sony MDR 7506
  2. Sennheiser hd 280 pro
  3. Shure SRH440
Also:
  1. Superlux 668b
  2. Harx 700
  3. Shure SRH240

Oct 7, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #2 of 4
I'm assuming this headphone is for a Win PC, using on-board audio.

Sold on Amazon
Gemini HSR-1000, $66
Samson SR-950, comes with Velour ear pads, $70

Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card, $25.99 and there is a $10 mail in rebate this month.

Oct 7, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the reply! Yes, it is mostly for PC usage, perhaps on a tablet every now and then.
I've been told my motherboard (got a gigabyte Z77x D3H) has a good onboard card, will I be able to tell the difference with a Xonar?

Oct 7, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 4
  Thanks for the reply! Yes, it is mostly for PC usage, perhaps on a tablet every now and then.
I've been told my motherboard (got a Gigabyte Z77x D3H) has a good on-board card, will I be able to tell the difference with a Xonar?

Z77X D3H, on-board audio VT 2021, it might be decent, but Gigabyte might have picked because it is cheaper then Realtek, but I have not done any reading up on the VIA VT chip-sets, so I might not be able to make an informed opinion.
As the Xonar DG comes with a headphone amplifier, it might give a slight improvement.
The DG is $15.99 (after mail in rebate, plus any sales tax (shipping would be free if ordered with a headphones)
I guess you could skip getting an add-on sound card for now.
(but it's cheap to try it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back