Closed ones for nocturnal listening...
Feb 9, 2009 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

knob2001

New Head-Fier
Hi!...

Maybe someone found himself on the same situation as me:
After a full time work day, and after having a pleasured dinner with my wife and son, i lie down in our bed to listen some music prior get slept.

So... in this standard scenary, a closed headphones are mandatory, i guess. I don't want to wake up my wife with the music, and remember we are at night, with just some street mumble outdoor. My wife could hear a falling coin two blocks away from us.

What it makes different my story to any other (at least different to a big bunch of stories), is that i'm a radio sound engineer (in spain, the european one)... the ones that goes outside the radio with satellite broadcasting equipements and such weird stuff. I spend my day listening if the signal has noise and mixing - glensound mixers here - for hours all kind of sounds, so the most i like at home is hearing Ambient and a lot of very minimal (like david toop) digital driven music, with very slow and deep bass passages.

I have some sennheiser (HD25, 240...) and some DT from beyerdynamic at work, but i really want to move to something audiophile, away from the linear i must use at work. I understand that closed headphones are not as good as the open ones, becouse the spatial reverb of the closed cans. But, is there any as good as a HD650 on closed? Which could you recommend me? I was planning to spend as much as i can, becouse sound... ehhh... it's my life after all, and i can tell you how manic you become when your work is to listen carefully stuff too many hours per day.
k701smile.gif

Thank you.
Regards
Knob2001.

Feb 9, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #2 of 19
People will recommend you the d2000 or 5000 or 7000. The d2000 are excellent cans but if isolation is #1 , don't get them I warn you as I have them and they isolate very poorly. Unless you listen at very low levels.

Ultrasone Edition 9 might be something to look at. You might like them alot.. until you see the price tag tho
frown.gif

Feb 9, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #3 of 19
Feb 9, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 19
I would recommend some closed Audio Technicas. They are significantly different than the beyers from work, sound very clean and have a very wide soundstage that would probably be great for ambient.

They leak sound at higher volumes but not so much at a reasonable volume level.

The closed ATs also have very pleasant bass, quick and clean.

Feb 9, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about IEMs instead of cans?...

PS: Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet!

Hi!...

Thank you for the quick answers... how is that all this non-pro forums are a better place to ask than professional places? The info you have here is overwhelming, congratulations.

Anyway, i have a pair of SE310 at work (mixing a soccer match at the stadium stands with 90.000 people screaming is a nightmare, i can tell you)... and i didn't realiced they could fit me on this until you named them on the last post. But... i think i will need more spatial sound... but here is when my english fails to explain the feeling. Those SE310 are a glory doing their job, and maybe it's all about the way we imaging the audiophiles... very big cans built of caoba or a well resonant woods.

About the wallet, sorry for not advice before what i think of paying "whatever you needed". On a crisis time 1500€ for a headphones would do my wife to put my clothes on a bag and throwing it through the window, along with my denon cd player and my dignity. The pro's and the audiophiles... the only difference between the equipment prices is who pays it, a company or a person, becouse both are too insanity expensive.

I will try the Denon AHD-5000 (prized here in spain at 495€) or an Audio Technicas (W1000 600€) like geremy says, at least they seems something more than a tiny fly when i show it to my wife (sorry IEMs, i still love you). And of course all the models you guys can tell me about. Just remember i love ambient and slow sounds, i left the drums and big noises just for working time...

Thank you again.
Regards
Knob2001

Feb 9, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #6 of 19
I too think you should check out some iem's. I find them a lot more comfortable when lying in bed and they won't leak any sound to bother your wife.

Feb 9, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #7 of 19
How about a Stax 4070?
If found them to isolate very well, both ways. No complains about the sound quality either.
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #8 of 19
Beyer DT150s are not merely the best closed phones I have ever heard, but the best, period. You have heard other Beyers, but you may not have heard these, and they are in a league of their own. One of their greatest strengths is having the same huge, airy soundstage as the very best open phones while achieving the kind of bass that only closed can manage. They also have outstanding isolation.
(The DT150s are "stealth" phones, because they are ugly and affordable but sound insanely great!)

Feb 9, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #9 of 19
IEMs, because with your wife right-right-right besides you; she will still hear the beats of your closed headphones. I don't believe closed headphones is even an option for you.

Since you got the shure's, you can try the 530's; or some of the Ultimate Ear models that you can flip-mod and lying down with those.

Feb 9, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #10 of 19
I'm a bedtime listener as well, and have also been through quite a few headphones and rigs. The best headphones I've found for sq plus lying-down comfort are the ATH-ESW10JPN, with the ESW9 close behind (there are a few different impressions on this site that explain the differences between the two pretty well). They're small enough so that they don't interfere with the pillow, and they're more comfy than iems. I also like them because I'm not tied to an amp for usage (I like a minimal rig for bed and travel), and they sound better than most headphones straight from an ipod. They're closed, so they won't bother anyone. They're not HD650s, but 650s only sound the way they're known for sounding with an dang decent source and amp at minimum. Worth checking into.

I'm not a fan of the above mentioned Denons at all (haven't heard the 7000 yet) including the modded versions, but some folks seem to like them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beyer DT150s are not merely the best closed phones I have ever heard, but the best, period.

uh......
confused.gif

Feb 9, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #11 of 19
I use IEM's alot anyway but for sleeping, there are only two I would recommend for comfort and isolation without loosing SQ (To a certain extent), Sennheiser CX500's ( Cheaper) and Sleek SA6's ( More expensive). The sleeks were a bit bright for me but extremely small and comfortable. The Sennheiser are my "Best IEM for <100.00" choice and isolate well and are a very comfortable size for sleeping.
I'm a side sleeper so full sized cans are not an option for me. As far as Isolation in a good full sized can I would recommend the AT ATH-A900's good isolation and not too much "punch" in the lows

Feb 9, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #12 of 19
Seems like IEMs would be the most comfortable and give you the best isolation. However, if you have your heart set on closed cans, hard to beat the JVC/Victor HP-DX1000 for isolation ... and a great performing can as well. Isolate better than the D2000/5000/7000 or W5000. Especially if you're looking for good bass (quantity and quality).

Here is a good thread http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/jvc...-unite-219744/

Feb 15, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #13 of 19
I think I will recommend the Darth Beyers. They have excellent isolation, very good bass and a nice soundstage. I prefer them to DX1000.
In bed I tend to use big cans. I find them easier to remove and put over the bedside table. With IEMs and other small headphones I always end tangled with cables
wink.gif

Feb 15, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #15 of 19
Ultrasone Pro 900s. I you use the HFI650s for the same thing. The 900s are on the way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back