Closed Neutral/Warm Headphones for a Variety of Music + an Amp, $250-$350
Nov 17, 2015 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

TRapz

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,
After going to the NYC meet I figured it was time to start to think about upgrades. Right now I'm running a FiiO X1 into my Grado SR80i or Shure SRH440 for at-home use, SE215s for when I'm out. I enjoy the openness of my Grados, however, I'd like something with a bit more isolation (for around the house- not looking for a new portable set yet). I'd also enjoy a bit more warmth or at least neutrality compared to my Grados; I like the sound signature of my SRH440, but something with better sound quality and maybe a little more bass would be appreciated, as well as a better soundstage. Also, I'd like some kind of amp to improve upon my FiiO X1's; I thought the E11k, which I tried, added a bit, but something adding a little more clarity may be nice. Overall I'd like to spend no more than $300, maybe $350. At the meet, I really enjoyed the Stax Lambda, ZMF Blackwood, and MrSpeakers Ether C.

TL;DR:
Looking for:
  1. Warm/Neutral headphones, good soundstage
  2. Closed, with decent isolation, preferably comfortable
  3. Used for rock, electronic, pop, & more
  4. Amp to improve upon FiiO X1's output
  5. Totaling no more than $300-$350

Thanks for reading and for any responses.

Nov 17, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 7
You should consider the Focal Spirit Professional.
You could also read about the Soundmagic HP-150.

Nov 17, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #3 of 7
  You should consider the Focal Spirit Professional.
You could also read about the Soundmagic HP-150.

I've heard a lot about the Focal, and only good things; they're very interesting, but also a bit pricey for me. I'm looking into the HP-150, which I've heard a little bit about. Thanks for your help.

Nov 20, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #5 of 7
DT150  
smile.gif

Nov 21, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #7 of 7
Does anyone know anything about how well the new Fostex Tx0RP MK3 line would fit what I'm looking for? They seem to be a good fit, though I'm not sure which one would be best (T50RP?) and what amp would pair well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back