Closed "multi-purpose" headphones for $100
May 4, 2009 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

judzillah

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a set of headphones for general, multi-purpose use. I'll be using them 50% of the time with my ipod at work (mostly rock, some jazz and electronic as well) and 50% for gaming on my computer at home. I also need a closed set, as I will be using them at work and occasionally for travel. Isolation isn't really important, but not leaking sound is. My budget is around $100. As I'll be using them with an ipod, I'll need some that are easy to drive without an amp. They should also be comfortable enough to wear for several hours a day. I realize at this price, I'll probably have to make some compromises in sound quality. I'm looking at the Sennheiser HD-280 or the Audio Technica ATH-A700, would either of these be a good fit, or are there other models I should look at? Thanks in advance!

May 4, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #3 of 13
Check out the Denon AH D1001. Not the greatest Jazz 'phone, but I wouldn't say there is a good closed jazz 'phone out there for $100. I prefer the sennheiser HD201 to the HD280, but I may be in the minority on that one.

May 4, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #5 of 13
Thanks for the quick responses. The D1001 looks good. Any suggestions where to buy them? The usual places seems to have it for $150, but I think I should be able to get it for around $100.

May 7, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #11 of 13
Plus the price is really light on the pocket -- a mere $35 if you can find a good deal online
tongue.gif

May 7, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #12 of 13
Don't rule the HD280Pro out yet. They are fine if you don't mind flat sound, suitable for all kinds of music, easy to drive, good isolation. Plus they get much better wth burn-in, ie. the longer you use them the better they sound. But you should try them first - their clamping force makes them uncomfortable for some.
The recommended Denon are great too if you don't need much isolation and if you prefer more "fun" sound with stronger bass.
Note: If you want to save some money you could look for the Creative Aurvana headphones as they are practically identical to the Denons and you should be able to get them cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back