[CLOSED] Mojo vs micro iDSD vs m8 vs "?"(feel free to add)]
Apr 1, 2016 at 3:42 AM Post #17 of 25
  It's important to build a system that is quality from start to finish.  In the extreme example, headphones that cost a million dollars powered by a source that cost pennies gives you a system that sounds like it cost pennies.

Even in your more balanced example, I would not use any of full-size magnetic planar headphones with any of the DAC/amps meant to be portable.  Even the good ones.

I recommend people use motorcycle engines for motorcycles, and full-sized car engines for full-sized cars.  Looking at the LCD-3, you might even say you should use a truck engine for a truck.

The EL-8s and LCD-Xs are Audeze's easier-to-drive headphones, and still I would not expect the Mojo to be sufficient for them.  Passable, yes, and if you needed to use/only had the budget for just one Mojo in a variety of setups, one of which was mobile and another that included one of those easier-to-drive magnetic planars, I suppose it could be the right way to spend your money.  But powering the LCD-2s or 3s would be a misstep, and having bought such top headphones for use in such a medium setup would be a bad idea.

If you have (had?) the money for an LCD-3, you should also have (or should have kept?) sufficient money for the proper motor to drive them.  Without even going more expensive than the Mojo, but simply going for something desktop that gets its power from the wall, you would be much, much better off.  A desktop amp above the Mojo's price point is actually the proper match for these headphones, but your budget may already be exhausted.  If not, I suggest you look at the next level of refinement/power above Mojo and co.

Or, sell your 3s for an entire system of slightly more humble cans with significantly improved front end.

Remember not to buy the Ferrari body with a VW Bug engine.  Get a system that balances its components.  The car's speed depends on the motor powering it.

I am willing to upgrade my desktop setup. I have been using fiiox3ii with fiiok5, with hifiman HE400i and ATH M50x. only looking to spend more time with 400i from now on. I would like semi portable option as I still down own a table at home dedicated to music god. something that I can carry with me to ship, as I am sailor. I really got a lot of info from u. pls help.. m crying out loud!!
I have few options pls help me chose

1) pairing x3ii with ifi micro ican.
2) ifi micro idsd
3) ifi micro idac2
4) chord mojo.

Apr 1, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #18 of 25
Please before you claim something is not sufficient for anything, at least give a reason not just because you say so. Mojo has more than enough power to power anything beside HE-6. Even at it's full power output it has still low distortion levels. In fact better than many desktop amps.

FYI, Mojo and Hugo has exactly similar output. It can put at 5.3Vrms output for high impedance loads (300 Ohms +) and up to 500mA for the low impedance loads. I use both to drive all full-size headphones I have from HD-800 to Ether-C. At level match comparison compared to desktop amp like G109, it will be extermely difficult to hear a difference especially if it's done blind.

As @fjrabon mentioned, a headphone don't require the full power of the amp if it only requires a fraction to reach a certain SPL. 

I always suspect Audeze's spec claims for their powerhandling and sensitivity. Their recommedations sounds dubious to me. LCD-X and LCD3 has only 1 dB difference in sensitivity. The claim that you need beefier amp for LCD3 in comparison to LCD-X don't make any sense.

Unless, Audeze is misrepresenting the specs on purpose or just entirely inaccurate.

Aug 12, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #19 of 25
  I want to compare the iFi micro iDSD and the Chord Mojo. Of course it's only my opinion. On this "high end audio" segment the difference on gear is mostly really small and sometimes only incremental steps between. The human audio memory is weak and without the same loudness level on both sources the slightly loader source will always sound greater and some other reasons come accross into with comparing gear. So blind testing is really tough job and for me which impresses me most is that the Mojo is on really really low volume, even more "impressive", than any other DAC/AMP I've tried yet with IEMs/CIEMs, but not with my full size cans.

The micro iDSD I own since almost the first release and the Chord Mojo I got one of the first units from the first batch. In the past I tried Chord Hugo vs iFi micro iDSD, but only with my full size cans and never with any of my IEMs/CIEMs. In the past I don't found a big change in terms of SQ, that a upgrade to the Chord Hugo from the micro iDSD is worth the money (for me), so for me I stopped looking into this Chord world.

But since the first leak of the coming Chord Mojo and the price tag I was really interested how this little baby Hugo will do the job, but my main focus was now a small DAC/AMP for my IEMs/CIEMs, because the mirco iDSD is to powerful, even with IEMatch enabled and don't like the volume matching with the analogue poti and the form factor is still a little bit large, which not a pleasure for my taste on use with IEMs/CIEMs.

So I ordered the Chord Mojo but the first bad experience was my unit was defect, my Mojo had serious buzzing/hissing noise, I got a replacement Mojo and this unit is buzzing/hiss free.

After some serious time I spent on compare for me both devices has their strengths. In general, I don't use the Mojo for full size cans. I use the Mojo only for my IEMs and CIEMs, after my comparing incl. full size cans.

The micro iDSD drives all my full size cans pretty amazing including my HD 800. This should not sound like the Mojo isn't able to drive the HD 800 well too, no but please the iDSD has a monster amp section and provides greater battery life which is for me also important. One of the parts which is only present whithin the big brother - the Hugo - is the great analogue crossfeed feature. This is missing on the Mojo, but the iDSD has his own awesome analogue crossfeed which I really love and I like it for classical music (which I mostly hear).

With sensitive IEMs/CIEMs it's a different story, the Mojo is perfect for such sensitive headphones (regardless the small treble roll off the Mojo has), I prefer the really great volume matching and it's slightly better overall in terms of SQ compared to the iDSD but only with IEMs / CIEMs, this change is not like day and night, but it's easy to hear. Is it's worth to spent 600 Euros for this kind of "small" upgrade? For me yes it is, because it's not only the SQ it's the whole package of the Mojo I like.

For full size cans I personally don't would use the Mojo, for me the bang for your buck in this price range for full size cans is still the iDSD imho. I would never gave any of them both back, I'm happy I'm not interested any more in dedicated DAP world, since the Mojo provides very impressive audio performance: http://ohm-image.net/data/audio/rmaa-chord-mojo-24-bit , or the iDSD will never has trouble fire up any full size cans I maybe will own in future. I like my DAP + DAC/AMP combos, since I use two DX50 as transport with large battery and 256 GB full size sd cards (soon with 512 GB full size sd cards, but currently with 300 Euros to expensive) and don't need any other gear for semi portable use.

Again it's only my opinion, I know different taste, different impressions, different needs and much more (incl. the budget) makes at the end the choice of the right gear. So happy listening all Mojo and iDSD users.

I can't decide which way to go for my IEM (Westone UM Pro 50) between ifi Micro iDSD and Chord Mojo. From your post it looks like Mojo suits better IEM vs iDSD. Sound quality wise with IEM is there a lot of difference between iDSD vs Mojo when connected to laptop/iPhone?
I had Sony PHA-1A with my UM Pro 50 and the difference between straight from iPhone vs iPhone/PHA-1A was not huge - it added more layering and widened a sound-stage. I wonder if there will be a lot of improvement spending on Mojo or iDSD? I can't audition both back to back, however I can get Mojo and return it if I can't justify sound quality for the money spent. Thank you.

Aug 12, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #20 of 25
In the end of the story - I auditioned iDSD, Mini-m8 and Mojo - all of them sounds dissatisfying. I also have tried ak380 and Lotto Paw Gold - good players, but sound quality makes your ears get used to the sound very quickly, and therefore, lead you to boringness.I end up auditioning Fiio x7+Alo Rx (nickel edition) - nothing portable I have heard can beat it. The sound is just magical! X7 alone is pain to listen, but connected Alo Rx through the Line Out turn around the whole perception of its DAC and its implementations. X7 supports being used as external DAC, so X7+Rx provide the same amount of pleasure as it do as in single mode use. Can't be more happy,especially including price for both.
For now I use XBA-Z5, but the sound is to distinguished from the ear itself, AK t8ie provides the same sound signature, but everything sound closer and more opened and powerful. I have tried u12 and k10u - reference sound is just horrible...it's dead in sound. Yes, very precise, but so non-musical. Monitors are for professionals who works with music, but not for the one who is the listener and enjoys the music as the final product.
x7+Rx, pretty much my end up setup for a long time) Can't wait to try new Alo Continental V5 though))

Good luck guys, in searching of your audio dream!

Dec 7, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #22 of 25
  Hello Mate!

Have you ever use Chord Mojo Output mode, and connected to a dedicated AMP?
How was the sound from it?

cheers

nope i haven't yet....but will try to use it in preamp/dac mode to my ear + hd tube amp.
was to use the iFi micro iDSD for this...but might sell it and just instead use the mojo.

would like to hear from others who have used the mojo in preamp/dac mode, however.

Dec 7, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #23 of 25

nope i haven't yet....but will try to use it in preamp/dac mode to my ear + hd tube amp.
was to use the iFi micro iDSD for this...but might sell it and just instead use the mojo.

would like to hear from others who have used the mojo in preamp/dac mode, however.

Well, thank you for replying!
Let me ask you why are you selling your Idsd? Do you feels that chord mojo is better?

cheers!

Dec 13, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #25 of 25
Currently using Fiio x7+ALO cv5+earbuds. Miraculous synergy...
imho for now, in majority cases, it is better to search separate components rather than to have "all-in-one" solution.
Unsubscribed. The thread can be closed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back