Closed metal headphone recommendations?
Feb 25, 2007 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

orange

New Head-Fier
Hi. I mostly listen to grindcore, death metal and black metal, and now I am looking to buy a pair of closed headphones. I will connect them to my computer at work. I don't have an amp, but I guess someday I need to buy one anyway.

Yesterday I got 15 minutes of test listening in a store (they were closing!). I really liked Grado, but I can't use a pair of open cans at work. The pair I liked the most, is Beyerdynamics DT770. I've read in some threads that many people don't like the bass they have. Since I was a bit in a hurry I maybe missed it, or they play Norma Jean (hardcore) very good.
eggosmile.gif

Anyone has any recommendations?

Feb 25, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #2 of 13
hi, im listening to drudkh on my dt770's now. i have nothing but good things to say about this headphone. whilst the bass is more pronounced than most over headphones, its never too overpowering for me (think of the bass levels at gigs, compared to that the dt770 is relatively un-bassy).
oh and i saw cult of luna on thurs, both keyboardists had dt770's.

Feb 25, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #3 of 13
I don't own the DT770s, but I listened to some of my stuff (alot of the same genre, including Norma Jean), and it was awesome. I like my HD555s, but hardcore rock is just not their thing. So, I'm currently saving up for the Beyers, they make great metal cans.

Feb 25, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 13
audio-technica A700 will do betetr than the DT770 on metal. The A700 is faster than the DT770, which is important for metal.

Feb 25, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #5 of 13
Just another suggestion...Sennheiser HD-25.

Feb 25, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #6 of 13
Listening to some Dream Theater on my Beyers as we speak. The next artist on my playlist is In Flames. They both sound wonderful on the DT770.

Feb 25, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ugester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The a700s are excellent for metal. Their mids are a teensy bit recessed, but not to the degree of the dt770s. (nothing a little eq can't fix)

Yeah metal is good on a700s, mids a little more than "teensy bit recessed" but eq does do the trick. and soooo comfy.
icon10.gif

Feb 25, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by spiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listening to some Dream Theater on my Beyers as we speak. The next artist on my playlist is In Flames. They both sound wonderful on the DT770.

In Flames is great. Love the Come Clarity CD.

Feb 25, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #11 of 13
I wouldnt get DT770 for deathmetal unless you like bass. I love deathmetals intensive riffing, the thing that really defines it for me. And guitars get their power from uppermid frequencies. That is bit recessed with DT770. Doublebass mayhem DT770 plays more than satisfyingly, if thats your thing.

For blackmetal, Soundstage should be good enough to make that distant whole wallofsound feeling. But... musically it has almost mids and treble only, bass totally left behind. DT770 might "balance" it, but is it really blackmetal anymore...?
blink.gif

Feb 25, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just another suggestion...Sennheiser HD-25.

agreed, that's what i was thinking as i was scrolling down. nice fast, forward sound... plus, it delivers more bass punch than the audio-technicas (i've only heard A500s and A900s from that line, so i'm guessing they're somewhere in between the two...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back