Closed heaphones with an 'n' shaped frequency response?
Feb 19, 2012 at 1:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

cactus_farmer

1000+ Head-Fier
OK, so if I'm after something quite opposite to the Audio Technica M50 sound signature (emphasized bass and emphasized treble resulting in a 'v' shaped sound signature), is there any closed headphone about the same size and price that has it?

The sound signature I'm after is an 'n' type one where the midrange is emphasized and the bass and the treble are de-emphasized...

I also want to know if the DT250 might fit this description, or the AKG K271 Mk. II or Shure SRH840? But I definitely want other suggestions as well!!

Thanks in advance.

Feb 19, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 12
Feb 19, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #5 of 12
I've read that the Koss PRO4/AA are very mid-range/lower treble boosted with not a lot of extension either way - never confirmed it for myself. Another "by reputation" suggestion would be the Beyerdynamic DT48 - often they're regarded as having not a lot of bass and passable treble extension; very closed too. If you're alright with the thing being able to produce a lot of bass (but not in an unbalanced way), the Kenwood KH-K1000 would be my pick; the midrange really "drives" that headphone (and it has a good soundstage for a closed headphone too) - I've read that they're "a K272 with bass" but I haven't heard the 272. Beyerdynamic T70 with an EQ would get what you want in spades as well (it has a bit of a bump in the treble, but the bass is rolled off and the mids are "good" to "excellent" (I don't understand how the InnerFidelity graph describes that headphone at all)). 

If they don't have to be closed, the Sony MDR-F1 would actually be my suggestion; they do have bass and highs (and they CAN reach for the sky), but the midrange is really what they "do." They're absolutely amazing with vocals. If you want more treble and bass (and somewhat more isolation), the SA5000 would be the "next step." Neither is closed by any stretch of the imagination though. 

Feb 19, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
OK, so if I'm after something quite opposite to the Audio Technica M50 sound signature (emphasized bass and emphasized treble resulting in a 'v' shaped sound signature), is there any closed headphone about the same size and price that has it?

The sound signature I'm after is an 'n' type one where the midrange is emphasized and the bass and the treble are de-emphasized...

This is the "usual" signature of many (if not most) headphones made from the at least as far back as the 1970's into the 1990's.  You might just want to pick up one of those classics--and probably at a bargain basement price.

Feb 19, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #7 of 12

This is what I thought of after posting, thinking about the PRO4/AA and DT48 as both fairly old, and remembering older headphones that I used to have being "in-line" with this signature. Even my old 'stats approach this kind of signature (they roll off on the top end) come to think of it. 
Quote:
This is the "usual" signature of many (if not most) headphones made from the at least as far back as the 1970's into the 1990's.  You might just want to pick up one of those classics--and probably at a bargain basement price.

Feb 20, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #8 of 12
to those who suggested the Sony ZX700 - I notice they're around half the price of the Audio Technica M50... Are they in the same league as the M50 and just offer a different flavour, or are the M50's a league better? Ie. is the ZX700 a sidegrade or a downgrade from the M50?

Feb 20, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #9 of 12
ZX700, while overall a good headphone for the price, I felt that its mids stuck out a little too much compared to the rest of the spectrum... and I'm the type that typically likes the mids upfront as well... it stuck out so much that the vocals seemed way too shouty to me. Sound wise, if I had to pick between the two, I'd pick the M50. Then again ZX700 has other advantages over it such as price, comfort and portability...

Jan 25, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #10 of 12
bump...?

Anyone else want to comment on whether they think the ZX700 is in the same league as the M50, but different - or if the M50 is simply better?

Also, is there anything else with an 'n' shaped sound signature?

Jan 25, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #11 of 12
In my opinion,you should look at the Sony MDR 1R.I think their frequency responce is a bit "n type". Treble is smooth/non emphasized,and the same goes for lower bass.Midrange frequensies are a bit forward and quite present.

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #12 of 12
KRK Kns 8400 maybe? They have enough bass on them without bleeding anywhere, very detailed mids, but might they might be a tad bright. If you don't mind eqing out a peak or two though, it fixes that right up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back