Closed headphones...
Nov 2, 2005 at 10:39 AM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
Heh, £100 is quite a 'good' UK price. Mind you, 580s are well worth £300. I love them.
580smile.gif

Importing is a quite good idea, the Queen does charge 25% on anything though.

She's got to feed those Corgis somehow
wink.gif

Nov 4, 2005 at 11:47 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReDVsion
If you want something that sounds similar to the 580s, you could check out the AKG K271. I'm not sure how much you'll be paying for them in England, however.

I've almost settled on the K271s, they do look a lot better than the Beyers IMO.
K271.jpg

A few questions I have:

I've read that they automatically mute when taken off, does this mean you can't burn them in, unless you make it think its being used, like putting it on the arm of a sofa...

The HD580s are super comfy, how are these? I've also read the pleather earpads make your ears sweat? I'll likely be using these for upwards of 5 hours at a time...

The cable is detachable, does that mean its head-fiable? Is it straight?

Have you used HD580s, is the SQ even in the same league as them?

Would you be able to take a load of pictures? send em to chri5peed@gmail.com if you can't host them.

Nov 4, 2005 at 12:41 PM Post #18 of 26
The AKGs may look better than the Beyer, but the velour on the Beyers is much more comfortable than the vinyl/pleather on the AKGs. I am only saying this because I haveAKG K 240 DFs that I rarely wear. I sweat onto the pads and it become uncomfortable. I never have that problem with the Beyers.

Oh, and yeah, the DT250/250 look exaclty the same as the "80s". The only difference is the driver.

Nov 4, 2005 at 12:49 PM Post #19 of 26
Damn, it looks like I'm after something else then.
plainface.gif

edit - Are the HD 25s PROs any good? Do I also recall you can stick an HD 580 cable on them?

They're slightly smaller form might be good too.

edit 2 - Nope, they're supra-aural.

Nov 4, 2005 at 3:04 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by mahlerfan
If the sweat is not a major concern with you-- I think that the akgs are more comfy than the Senn 580s. I haven't heard the 271, but that is the same design as the 240S.

Well, the sweat is a concern really, today for example its 3pm and I've had my HD580s on for 2.5 hours...I'm timing how long the charge in the SM3 lasts.

Is the DT770 a good option? I read a few great reviews for it, one was on here. Also they comes in all black too, the grey had put me off.

Nov 4, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

I've almost settled on the K271s, they do look a lot better than the Beyers IMO.

I've read that they automatically mute when taken off, does this mean you can't burn them in, unless you make it think its being used, like putting it on the arm of a sofa...

The HD580s are super comfy, how are these? I've also read the pleather earpads make your ears sweat? I'll likely be using these for upwards of 5 hours at a time...

The cable is detachable, does that mean its head-fiable? Is it straight?

Have you used HD580s, is the SQ even in the same league as them?

Would you be able to take a load of pictures? send em to [url=mailto:chri5peed@gmail.com]chri5peed@gmail.com[/url] if you can't host them.[/i]
[/td] [/tr] [/table]

Yes, they do auto-mute, so you will have to find another way to burn them in, if you find it necessary. I don't.

I don't own Sennheisers, and I've only tried them briefly at a meet. That said:
1. The headband will be more comfortable than the Senns.
2. Pleather earpads are comfortable so long as you're not comparing them to velour earpads and such. I personally don't have problems with sweating, although it seems a lot of people do. IIRC, AKG makes velour earpads for the K271, perhaps you could buy a pair if the pleather doesn't suit you...
3. I don't know if I ever listened to 580s. I heard 650s at a meet, but just wasn't interested so I didn't pay that much attention. However, I owned a pair of DT880s which are supposed to be at least on par with the HD600 (and for some, the HD650). Now, given that they are two very different sounding headphones, I would say that from a technical standpoint the DT880 is the better headphone, but not by much. Part of my feeling is because closed headphone just don't that airy quality to their sound that open headphones do, but really I think the DT880 just has a titch more detail. Realize that the K271 is still my favorite headphone, so it can't be *that* much worse. [img]http://www.head-fi.org/forums/images/smilies/smily_headphones1.gif

"Head-fiable?" You mean upgradeable? Sure, and very easily. And the cable is most definitely straight. We're not too fond of queer cables 'round here. </hick_accent>

Nov 4, 2005 at 11:35 PM Post #23 of 26
Yes 'Head-Fiable' is upgradable!

Lol, 'curly cables' are a strange thing...oh btw, I ordered some K271s a few hours ago. Free delivery and I amazingly got them for the same price as in America!

I think they use pleather pads because they provide a better seal, but I may look into the velour ones, I don't need extreme attenuation. Oh yeah are the pads easily removed?

Nov 5, 2005 at 5:39 AM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Oh yeah are the pads easily removed?

Just grab and pull...

Nov 5, 2005 at 11:14 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Lol, 'curly cables' are a strange thing...

Not really - the DT250/250 is just a professional model, and in pro working environments a coiled cable often turns out to be more convenient and long-lived than a straight one that get's constantly stepped on or rolled over by office chairs, camera stands et cetera...

Quote:

oh btw, I ordered some K271s a few hours ago.

Oh, well - I hope yours at least sounds better than mine, which sounds kinda strange (very recessed bass, weird mids - I still wonder whether they've accidentally connected one driver the wrong way on my unit...) . But even from other K271S impressions, I think the DT250/250 would have been a much better choice for someone who likes the HD 580...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Nov 5, 2005 at 1:45 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
Oh, well - I hope yours at least sounds better than mine, which sounds kinda strange (very recessed bass, weird mids - I still wonder whether they've accidentally connected one driver the wrong way on my unit...) . But even from other K271S impressions, I think the DT250/250 would have been a much better choice for someone who likes the HD 580...

I don't necxessarily want all my headphones to be clones now I think of it...

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Gatski
Though useful for broadcast, the auto-mute made it impossible for me to plug-in the headphones into a source, throw them in a corner and break them in for a couple of days. I had to prop open the headband to get enough tension so the mute switches would not activate. A bicycle helmet finally did the trick.

That sounds like a great idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back