Closed headphones with punchy bass around €200-300?
Aug 18, 2020 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

rxzlmn

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for an affordable pair of headphones that deliver a strong, punchy bass. Because I'm on a budget, I cannot really go above €300, give or take. I currently have Beyer's Custom One Pro at home, which retailed at 130€. From what I gather, these are relatively similar to Beyer's DT770, which I thought have a good reputation. However, although the bass is not bad, I am less than impressed with their SQ in general. So it looks like I will have to invest a bit more.

I generally do not care much about linearity and am rather a fan of dynamic "V" sound. Headphones that I really liked include: Sony Z7 (Mk1), AKG Q701, AKG K67, Sony XBA-3 (IEMs). Headphones that I did not enjoy as much: AKG K271 (Mk2). Generally I think I am a bit prone to liking Sony's sound signature in general.

Closed back is a prerequisite, and so is mobile usage (i.e., being able to be driven by a phone), and availability in the EU.

I have browsed the forums a bit, but found mostly headphones above $1000, which is just not feasible for me right now. I would appreciate any input.

Aug 19, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #2 of 15
Sounds like you might be a good candidate for the Meze 99.
It's not my cup of tea, with too much mid-bass emphasis for my taste, but it's just about the strongest bass you can find within budget.

I would only be concerned that in overall sound quality, it is a step down from the Custom One Pro (in my opinion).

A step up with more bass would be the Beyer DT1770 Pro... but that's over budget by about 90€ .

Sep 4, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #5 of 15
You want Fostex TR-X00’s .

Sep 5, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #6 of 15
Sep 6, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #7 of 15
Way outside of price range, why even mention them?
Not too far out for used and also one that I thought was the closest to what the OP was looking for also is there a problem recommending something that might be outside of ones budget that would fit closer to what they are looking for and might just have to save up a bit longer ?

Sep 14, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #8 of 15
If you like Sony sound, how about Sony 1am2 model. I don't own a pair, but considering them.

According to the reviews they are easily driven by portable music players including mobile phones.

Sep 14, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #9 of 15
Meze 99 Classics, or Noir if you can find it locally.

Sep 15, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #13 of 15
There is a little bit of a lower treble peak to the 99 Noir. It gives percussion and string instruments some bite on the attack. But mids and bass slam is where that headphone really delivers.

Sep 24, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #15 of 15
Meze 99 Classics/Noir or Focal Elegia at current $400 usd price at Adorama.
I have both. If you get the Meze 99C I would highly recommend getting the silver cables and/or the YaxiPads to bring them up closer to the level of the Elegia's. The Meze's have a better lower-end which will increase the price but is worth it. I'm still getting accustomed to the Elegia's I feel the Meze's have more air and a larger sound stage over the Elegia's but the Elegia's I feel are fuller sounding and has a smoother sound to them. I'm still trying to get a better feel between the two. I will say the Meze's are a more fun headphone. The Elegia's are more neutral, if you're coming from or prefer a more bassy headphone it'll take several weeks to adjust to the Elegia's since the bass is there but it's really tight and doesn't bleed in the mids at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back