Closed headphones with great soundstage and versatility
Dec 9, 2017 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

danalive

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

Just want to say this community is awesome, so much knowledge and fun to be had here. Thanks for having me.

I'm at the point where I've researched too much and my mind is a boggle. First world problems and all that, I've got up to $200 USD to spend on a new pair of closed headphones.

I'm looking for:
  • Wide soundstage
  • Nice separation
  • Relatively neutral response
  • Good for rock, jazz, ambient, electronic
  • Comfort
I know this is asking a lot at this price point, but what would you recommend?

I use mostly digital sources and try to get good FLAC rips of albums and I intend to use the cans through a Fiio Q1 MkII.

What's your experience and what are your recommendations?

Thanks a tonne in advance.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #3 of 8
1) Shure 1540 (you’ll have to find this used or pricey)
2) Beoplay H6
3) Sennheiser 598 CS

Looks like the HD598CS is within budget here in Australia - thanks for the recommendations - I didn't consider a couple of those up until now.

Dec 9, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #4 of 8
The 598 line is a great pick, but be aware that they are somewhat relaxed with rolled off bass so they won't be amazing for some rock or electronic. I love them with jazz, acoustic, or anything else that doesn't depend on thumping bass lines or hard-hitting bass drums. They are very natural sounding headphones and would be my pick out of the lot. They're also comfortable as hell, probably one of the most comfy headphones at that price point and above

Dec 9, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #5 of 8
The 598 line is a great pick, but be aware that they are somewhat relaxed with rolled off bass so they won't be amazing for some rock or electronic. I love them with jazz, acoustic, or anything else that doesn't depend on thumping bass lines or hard-hitting bass drums. They are very natural sounding headphones and would be my pick out of the lot. They're also comfortable as hell, probably one of the most comfy headphones at that price point and above

Thanks for the tip! I currently have the HD280 Pro (v1) and was wondering if I should try a different brand with differ sound signature. Have you heard the HD280 Pro before? If anyone has compared HD280 Pro and 598CS I'd love a comparison blurb about it :)

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #6 of 8
M̶e̶z̶e̶ ̶9̶9̶ ̶C̶l̶a̶s̶s̶i̶c̶s̶,̶ ̶l̶i̶t̶t̶l̶e̶ ̶b̶i̶t̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶v̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶b̶u̶d̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶.̶

Scratch that, I didn't see the neutral requirement.

+1 to the Shure SRH1540 if you can find one for cheap.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 2:06 AM Post #7 of 8
If anyone looks at this post again, I'm considering the Oppo PM-3 but I'm unsure as to he increase in quality over a headphone such as Beyerdynamic DT250 or another set of cans around that price range.

What am I getting in the PM-3s that I would get from a pair of balanced dynamic drivers?

Dec 12, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #8 of 8
Brainwavz HM5. Nothing more comfortable, neutral sound and excellent soundstage for a closed back headphone. I had a set, and my ex girlfriend, whose tastes seem more similar to your wife's than mine, LOVED them and so she has a set now, and I do not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back