Closed headphones with budget of $300 or under.
Sep 9, 2013 at 11:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

kthien

New Head-Fier
Hello there Head-Fi community,

I am looking to purchase a pair of closed headphones and was wondering if you guys could please help me in choosing one. One that will be used to listen to basically everything from music to movies on my computer. There isn't a preference for any type of music as I listen to any genre (jazz to rock).
I am currently using a pair of Audio-technica anc7b which was gifted to me a year ago but now the ear pads have started to deteriorate so would like to invest in a pair of quality ones which would last a while. So any pair that could be as or more comfortable than those would be preferential.

Currently looking at ath-m50 and dt770 (80 ohm vs 32 ohm LE). Does anyone have any anecdotal input or comments on these pairs?
I've read that, for long hours, the m50s start to hurt a little whilst the dt770 are very comfortable due to the velour pads; but of course, this is all subjective. I know that the dt770s also require an amp and I am fine with that. I would love to go out to try/demo them at a retail store however I live in a rural Australian area so online stores are my only option... Also, the AUD is another factor as there is a huge gap between the two headphones ($120-150 vs $250) as opposed to how cheaper it is for the dt770s in America (<$200 I believe?); however, the budget is at $300 because I am willing to spend to get the most bang for buck :)

Are there any other pairs I should be considering instead?

Looking forward to your suggestions and help is much appreciated! 
Kim.

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #2 of 12
There are often some good used headphone deals to be had in the classified forums from other Australian head-fiers. They will typically display AUD after the price in that listing interface.

Check out Innerfidelity's Wall of Fame lists:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed

I think the DT770s are a definite step up from the M50s. I'd go with them and an amp over the M50s. Often the M50s will sell here in the US for under $125, whereas the DT770 Pro 250 ohm are currently $175. I think they are worth the difference in price here, but each of us are different :)

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #3 of 12
Check out the KEF 500s...the bass issuper tight but not thumping,great mids and highs too

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #4 of 12
Heya,

Look into:

Denon D600 (used/refurb)
AudioTechnica A900X
Ultrasone PRO 750
Beyer DT770 (any impedance version, depends if using an amplifier or soundcard with onboard amplification)
AKG K550 / K267
Mr Speakers Mad Dog
NuForce HP800
SoundMAGIC HP100

If using a soundcard already with ample onboard amplification, nothing else is needed.
If not, I would suggest looking into a basic clean USB DAC/AMP, like a Fiio E10.

Very best,

Sep 9, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #5 of 12
Bassy:
M100
ATH WS99
HA SZ1000/2000
Fidelio

Different (lower mid emphasis, dark):
MDR 1R
Focal Spirit One

Home Use:
A900X
K550-bright

Neutral:
PSB M4U 1
KEF M500

The sennheiser momentum is between fun and neutral.

My favorites are the KEF M500, PSB M4U 1, and ATH WS99.

So id recommebd the kef. Don't judge the kef by its apearence.

The a900x is also great for what you mentioned, but the kef does better with faster tracks.

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #6 of 12
My favorites are the KEF M500, PSB M4U 1, and ATH WS99.

So id recommebd the kef. Don't judge the kef by its apearence.

The a900x is also great for what you mentioned, but the kef does better with faster tracks.

Honestly I do not like the Mids of the Ath a900x, it ruins Jazz.

The K550 is a REALLY good option as is the Sound Magic HP 100

The K550 is slighty darker and more intimate but is still VERY NEUTRAL with more sound stage than the Hp 100
Where as the Sound Magic Hp 100 is a little brighter and smooth with better sub bass than the K550

as far as a DAC/AMp combo goes, the Fiio E07k E10 and E17 are all good options, and lastly I'm doing a BIG comparision thread for MANY "all genre" headphones here. I've tried 3 different closed headphones this month, with a fourth on it's way >.> 

Sep 11, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #7 of 12
Thanks for the recommendations guys, I really appreciate it.
After extensive reading, I've narrowed it down to ad900x, k550 and dt 770 (80 ohm).
I've read that k550s start to hurt the top of your head after a few hours so that is concerning; however this is from one persons review, yet I believe has a similar head size to mine.

Additionally, somebody has offered to sell me their dt 880 premium (600 ohm) for ~$300, do you guys think I should take them up on this offer, or do they simply not suit my needs/unnecessary? Apparently they are "semi-open/closed" however, they will be used at home so that shouldn't be a worry. I'm assuming they would be as comfortable as the dt 770s, however, requiring a more expensive amp?
Let me know what you guys think :) 

Sep 11, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #9 of 12
  Thanks for the recommendations guys, I really appreciate it.
After extensive reading, I've narrowed it down to ad900x, k550 and dt 770 (80 ohm).
I've read that k550s start to hurt the top of your head after a few hours so that is concerning; however this is from one persons review, yet I believe has a similar head size to mine.

Additionally, somebody has offered to sell me their dt 880 premium (600 ohm) for ~$300, do you guys think I should take them up on this offer, or do they simply not suit my needs/unnecessary? Apparently they are "semi-open/closed" however, they will be used at home so that shouldn't be a worry. I'm assuming they would be as comfortable as the dt 770s, however, requiring a more expensive amp?
Let me know what you guys think :) 

BAD deal, the 600 ohm Beyer Dt 880 IS like $300 NEW -.- what a poor sap trying to rip off a new member *shakes head* check here for the REAL low price headphone deals! 
Some Links to some sweet deals
http://www.head-fi.org/t/680182/kef-m500-mint
http://www.head-fi.org/t/679808/beyerdynamic-dt880-600-ohm-price-drop / http://www.head-fi.org/t/677793/beyerdynamic-dt880-600-ohm
http://www.head-fi.org/t/680265/akg-k550
http://www.head-fi.org/t/681188/hifiman-he-300-headphones-modded-extras#post_9794553 [For that Price even I would LOVE to hear that] 

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #10 of 12
Oh I see, thanks for pointing that out. They are $400-450 new in Australia so I thought they were reasonable at that price; tried to justify a $50 increase (from $250 for dt770s) as an upgrade.

Thanks Trunks159, I will look at the grados (sr80i?), although the band on the mdr ma900 looks quite weak on first glance.
The k550s link seem very enticing Msheney! The only thing holding me off is whether they can be worn for hours without any fatigue. I've sort of formed a bias in my head towards the dt770s , regarding their comfortable velour pads and have inadvertently set it as a benchmark and find myself debating back and forth...
I've read your reviews and you actually have tried both the k550s and dt880s; which would you say is more comfortable and can be worn for long periods? Overall, if you were in my "newbie-first time" buying position, which pair would you choose based on your experience?
Additionally, do you feel this individual's claims of them hurting the top of your head, can be applied for you also? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5mau_8XqAE   

Sep 12, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #11 of 12
my issue with the k550 was it would seal when ever id open my mouth n i have a big mouth n jaw... comfort wise it was fine

still the dt 880 n dt990 are the most comfortable ive experinced to date

Sep 29, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #12 of 12
I would say the Soundmagic HP100 should be considered. I could write a brief review here but I encourage you to read the already written reviews. Many other folks with experience with many other headphones have great things to say about these especially for the price. It comes down to what sound signature you prefer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back