Closed Headphones Under $300
Feb 6, 2015 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

devilmonk

100+ Head-Fier
Returned my Soundmagic HP150's, looking for a new pair under $300. Considering the Sennheiser momentums (over-ear) currently. 

Preferably OHMS not past 64, or amp is considered in budget. Currently have Asus Xonar DG soundcard.
(I live in Canada and prices are different)

Feb 6, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #3 of 5
What is the format of your music and other sounds will you be putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking.

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Feb 6, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #4 of 5
1. 320 Kbps, unless I find the flac version.

I haven't had much experience with high quality cans. so my terminology might be a bit off.

2. Decent/good soundstage (If possible on closed cans)
Strong, punchy sub-base. Not too overpowering. (I guess warm?)
Transparent/Clear mids and highs, particularly for vocals.

I'm also not sure what "colored" means exactly when people talk about the momentums - "Coloured - Having timbres that are not true to life. Non flat response; peaks or dips.", If anyone can explain this a bit differently.

3. Portable use will be with my iphone, main use will be at my computer 90% of the time. Don't want open cans because I talk with friends on voice chats while listening to music/playing games. Don't want my mic picking up the leaking sound.

Feb 6, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #5 of 5
  1. 320 Kbps, unless I find the flac version.

I haven't had much experience with high quality cans. so my terminology might be a bit off.

2. Decent/good soundstage (If possible on closed cans)
Strong, punchy sub-base. Not too overpowering. (I guess warm?)
Transparent/Clear mids and highs, particularly for vocals.

I'm also not sure what "colored" means exactly when people talk about the momentums - "Coloured - Having timbres that are not true to life. Non flat response; peaks or dips.", If anyone can explain this a bit differently.

3. Portable use will be with my iphone, main use will be at my computer 90% of the time. Don't want open cans because I talk with friends on voice chats while listening to music/playing games. Don't want my mic picking up the leaking sound.

"Colored" is a broad term describing a headphone that changes the sound of the tract as it was laid down.

Based on what you state you are seeking, the NAD VISO HP50 (also recommended above) is a good choice, as is the PSB M4U 1.  See:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/i-love-these-headphonesthe-nad-viso-hp50

and

http://www.cnet.com/products/psb-m4u-1/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back