Closed headphones that isolate well
Oct 13, 2005 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

taymat

500+ Head-Fier
I'd like to buy some closed headphones under about $200/£100, preferably under $100/£50. Sound quality for less is important, which is why I'm drawn towards the AKG K26P and Sennheiser HD201. I'll be listening to mostly rock and electronic music, with a few classical symphonies. My favourite headphones include the Grado Rs-1 and Sennheiser Hd595. A quick look through ebay and on here and I've made a shortlist, I'd just like to know what you nice people think of these headphones and how they sound/compare.
Here's the list of closed headphones I can get easily new:
Beyerdynamic DT231/250-80/660
Sennheiser HD25-1/201/202/212/280/EH250
AKG K-26P/K271S
and used:
Sony MDR-CD1700
AKG K44/55
I am tempted by a heavily discounted Shure E4C/Etymotic ER-4P but I don't want a canalphone and they're a bit expensive.

Oct 13, 2005 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oridan
I suggest the audio technica ATH-A900

the sound quality is beautiful and the isolation is definitely top-notch!

Sorry no Audio Technica I need the headphones for Monday and it will take too long to get an AT headphone to my door.

Oct 13, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #5 of 13
K26P - decent isolation, sound signature good for noisy environments, but otherwise you'll get a feeling of listening through a wool blanket. Portable use *only*.
DT231 - not enough isolation, but quite good with a warm source when it's quiet. My bedside cans.
DT250 apparently gives yet less ultimate isolation than DT231, but at least starts at lower freqs (still - hmm), and the HD201 isn't supposed to be great here either.
202s aren't exactly the most refined cans (though they do offer good isolation), and 212s are just excessively bassy. eH250s are similar in isolation (not much different in build after all), but with a flatter frequency response these are definitely worth considering.
I think K44/55s are open, thus they won't isolate much.

That leaves the following cans:
DT660, possibly DT250-80 (isolation?)
HD25-1, HD280, eH250
K271S (what, no K240S? - OK, their isolation is only so-so), possibly K26P (wool blanket?)

The guys at Headroom have actually measured all of those (except for the K26P), so check out their graphs:
http://graphs.headphone.com/
You did not say anything about the required portability (HD25s are good portable cans, but not very great value if that isn't needed), nor about the source. With something slightly warm, DT660s should be nice (kind of a Gradoheiser). A K271S should be decent for classical, but looking at the freq response I can understand why one may find it boring for other things. That isn't to say that HD280s would be pure excitement, they're generally more laid-back, and then there's the issue with their bass (K271S is similar here). My favs would be DT660 (nice flat freq response, decent isolation), HD25-1 (K240S-esque sound signature, excellent isolation), or for something cheaper which does quite well all around (while not quite being in the same league sonically), eH250. Be sure to research comfort and other such small but important things.

Oct 13, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #7 of 13
What do you need it for?

Oct 14, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #8 of 13
Another vote for the HD 25-1, hadda get 'em and I'm glad I did!

Oct 14, 2005 at 1:17 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
What do you need it for?

I need some headphones for work. I have a dull temporary job testing pharmaceutical equipment. I don't want to silence all the sound but there's nothing more annoying than hearing music interrupted by seemingly random noise. I just want some decent sounding closed headphones that can be driven from a Creative Zen.

Oct 14, 2005 at 1:42 PM Post #10 of 13
Too bad you can't get the Audio Technicas because I think these would have been very nice for your intended applications.

The Sennheiser HD 25-1 is a bit uncomfortable for long listening sessions, especially with the stock pleather earpads, and better suited as a portable headphone. For that purpose it is outstanding but not so great for stationary use.

If you like your sound bright and exciting, the DT 660 is pretty good. It's fairly easy to drive, too, and comfort is good (clamps a bit on the jaw). I usually like my headphones dark (HD 650) but the Dt 660 was really nice and it's the most toe-tapping headphone I've heard for under $200. Bass is tight and punchy, too.

The DT 250-80 is a bit hard to drive from portables, especially European ones, but depending on your usual volume preferences, they might do alright. In case, you should try getting the DT 250-250 which is the 250 Ohm version. It's not much harder to drive than the 80 Ohm version (~ 5% more on my Ipod volume bar) and sounds noticeably better. The DT 250-250 is a bit harder to find though. Soundwise, the Dt 250-250 is the most balanced closed headphone I've tried. Tonality-wise very similar to the HD 600 series but with less Sennheiser veil in the upper midrange/lower treble. Transient response is on the softer side and this is a very relaxing headphone. Wonderful treble, bass could use a bit more punch but it's ok.

The HD 201 might actually do the trick and the price is quite misleading about this headphone's capabilities. I think it's just as good as the more expensive Sony V6 and more comfortable, too. Overall build quality feels a bit cheap but for $20 it's probably expected. Sound-wise, it's a more forward Sennheiser than the HD 600 series but it suits the Hd 201 well. If you have jumbo ears, the earpads might be too small but otherwise, it's ok. I think, if you don't plan on using the closed headphone after the temporary job, just get the HD 201.

The HD 280 Pro, especially when new, clamps very hard at your jaw so that would be a major turn-off for me. Soundwise, it's a tad better than the HD 201 and very balanced across the spectrum. Slightly recessed in the treble and overall, perhaps a bit boring but flat.

There's also the Beyerdynamic DT 831 (which I have for sale) but I can't really recommend this pair of headphones. It's bright, lacks a bit in bass and has a rather thin sound overall. Soundstage and resolution are alright. The DT 660 is also bright but is more fun to listen to and has a punchier bass.

The AKG K271 is a bit hard to drive (about the same as the DT 250-250) and sounds lackadaisical without an amp. Excellent closed headphone otherwise but I wouldn't use it with a portable source.

Never heard the K26P or Sony CD1700 but the latter is said to be very comfortable.

Oct 14, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #11 of 13
AKG K271 - I would absolutely recommend. Personally I love them, fits me very well, very comfortable, nice seal but not a head-clamping jaw-killer like some headphones. I put these on and the world goes away. So long as you don't mind people being able to walk up behind you... :)

I don't find them that hard to drive, as I run them out of my laptop and it sounds fine to me. Granted I don't have a headphone amp to compare with, so perhaps I don't know what I am missing, but it sounds great to me. I have also tried them briefly from a CLIE NX70 and an iPod (3G) and felt the performance was still fine.

Excellent build quality... even though these were not cheap, there is nothing I regret about this purchase. The cable is a little long if you sit close to your source, but I just looped it and used some velcro wrap. If you really care, the cable IS detachable, and you can buy shorter versions. Some people say they are a little "bass shy" ... personally there is enough bass there for me short of strapping a subwoofer to my head.

If I remember, I'll take my industrial noise-protection earmuffs (Peltor) home and compare how much the AKG's reduce noise in comparison. I'm a total freak about extraneous environment noise, both in the office and in the home. The Peltor's have an NRR of 30 dB... they are the best-rated hearing protection earmuffs that they sell (afaik). Now if you REALLY want insulation, try those with some earbuds or canal-phones underneath. :wink:

Offhand, I can say that the AKG's make the sounds of screaming children, and scraping/banging noises on hardwood over your head go away. As you can tell, sometimes it gets loud at home and I just slip on the AKG K271's and it's audio nirvana.

Headroom rated these as some of the best closed headphones around.

Here's some general comments from them about full sized phones
http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-he...ze-headphones/

(Now they say that rock/techno fans might shy away from the K271, but I listen to a lot of rock/electronica - actually the whole gamut of music really - and I am not disappointed at all... but again perhaps that is just because of my limited exposure. )

Good luck with your purchase! I'm not sure how the K271 is priced where you are, you might find a good price, or you might find a good deal in the used market.

Oct 14, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #13 of 13
I'm liking my HD201 alright. they are pretty comfy and fit JUST around my relatively small ears. The bass isn't as impactful as something like the KSC75 and they can feel curiously unbalanced to me at times. Like I'm getting more out of the left on occasion. Also, I don't think they are sealed well enough to be my 'main portable'. I wish they isolated better. I might tinker around and see if I can figure out something in the way of replacement earpads...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back