closed headphones that are small?
Jan 5, 2010 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

geestring

100+ Head-Fier
i picked up an ipod classic and am looking for a pair of headphones to go with it. All the closed headphones have huge ear cups.

I was eyeing the grados or ms-1 because i love the look, but they are opened which won't bode well for my outdoor use.

I want something in that size with good sound quality and is closed.

Jan 5, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #3 of 21
The AKG K450 has been getting some love in the portable forum recently, and can be had for something like $100 off its MSRP right now - I'd add it to the list as well.

Jan 5, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #4 of 21
I'm gonna have to recommend the audio-technicas ES7 for portable use. The glossy black on those things exude sex wherever you go. Sonically, I'd go with the MS-1s. ES7s always sound a little muffled to me, but I have yet to try the blue tack mod.

Jan 5, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by HD-5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grados are pretty big imho. Have you seen them in person?

I think he means D5000/HD650 big.

Jan 5, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think he means D5000/HD650 big.

I understand, but I would think that anything as big as a Grado would be cumbersome to use outside. Pictures can be deceptive. They look smaller in pictures than they actually are in the flesh.

Jan 5, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #11 of 21
Grados are easy to wear outside, comfy, light weight, not too big. I the issue with grados that I can see is that they are open so they leaked tons of sound but other then that there fine, i use my everyday portably.

Jan 5, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by HD-5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand, but I would think that anything as big as a Grado would be cumbersome to use outside. Pictures can be deceptive. They look smaller in pictures than they actually are in the flesh.

Yeah I was surprised at how big they were when I bought my SR60i's, but they are not cumbersome (in my opinion). I throw them on my head/neck and head out. The only thing that is a big clunky is their super long and thick cable (it's bigger than my monstrous 80gb ipod when in my pocket).

and I don't consider them not folding and being able to be put in a bag a bad thing, I would never think of putting my headphones in my backpack.

Jan 5, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #13 of 21
I thought my SR-225 were small, I was expecting something bigger. Maybe I am used to my ATH-AD700?

Jan 5, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #15 of 21
Yeah I am actually getting ALO-780 soon but I will be using it at home. If i were you, I would not be getting any of the PRO series because they are harder to drive than the HFI series. Also, some of the PRO series are open cans, not the best idea for portability. The HFI-680 is fantastic and the HFI-780 is really the same just with a bass boost. You can even get Velour Beyerdynamic DT 250 pads to fit the HFI-780 if you want, I just bought some off ebay yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back