Closed Headphones Suggestions
Jun 14, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by clevermouse1984 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would suggest AKG K271. Pretty good sounding plus exellent isolation, and cost about $150.

Big X2, except they are useless without an amp, the reason they have non deserved reputation of being bass lean.

Jun 14, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #18 of 35
I think a lot of peeps forgot bout this "sound good unamped and are somewhat portable. Currenly I own a pair of MS-1s that I love but am looking for something I can take with me when I travel" Most of the cans recommended either are bigger then the MS-1's or need an amp.

Jun 14, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Big X2, except they are useless without an amp, the reason they have non deserved reputation of being bass lean.

Yeah, it seemed like all the good AKGs really needed an amp so I think I'll pass on them. It just gets to be too much to bring along...

Jun 14, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #20 of 35
I have no experience with either but, since I'm considering them myself, I'd like to see someone chime in for the Audio-Technica ATH-ES7 or the Denon AH-D2000. Of course, the D2000 is a little bit beyond the suggested price point.

Jun 14, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #21 of 35
From what I've read about the ATH-ES7 I gather that they don't isolate very well so I wasn't going to consider them despite the love that numerous people have for them.

Skylab: Did you do an AB comparaison between the 770pro, RP21 and HD25-1? If so I'd love to hear your comments on their relative strengths and weaknesses.

Jun 14, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by modestninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, it seemed like all the good AKGs really needed an amp so I think I'll pass on them. It just gets to be too much to bring along...

I have no first hand experience with HD25-1 so cannot tell much about them, except they are highly recommended for portable application by many. I currently use ATH-ES7 as my portable cans of choice and very pleased by how they sound straight out of Zune, unamped. They do look to isolate plenty, better than Denon for sure, or A900. Some even prefer their signature to HD25-1, as it's more fun. For half the price of HD25-1 and more modern design that was a no-brainer for me. But if you want absolutely best, recabled HD25-1 with velour pads may turn out better.

Jun 14, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

(snip) I currently use ATH-ES7 as my portable cans of choice and very pleased by how they sound straight out of Zune, unamped. They do look to isolate plenty, better than Denon for sure, or A900. (snip)

Andrew_WOT, to be clear, are you saying the ES7 isolates better than the Denon D2000? I did notice that you used to have a set of D2000, then got rid of them. Was isolation the reason; or, were there some other reasons as well? I would be very interested to know. Thanks!

Jun 14, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #25 of 35
ES7 isolation is up to *normal* closed cans standards, Denon D2000 leaked as much as open cans. I would use them as closed version of HD650 at work if not that. Otherwise I just didn't see much of a reason to keep them along with HD650, which imho do some things better then Denon. (BTW I am not taking about Senns in stock form.) I am still awaiting for someone to do heads to heads comparison between recabled D2000 and D5000 to see how well they respond to recabling. As my other grief was a bit overdone to my taste bass, that could use a better control, and somewhat lacking micro resolution, although that as well could be the result of the upper bass overshadowing mids.

Jun 14, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhumur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Andrew_WOT, thanks, man! I think you just helped me decide my closed can portable headset purchase...the ES7. Going once, going twice... :)

Still recommend seriously consider HD25-1 as an alternative.

Jun 14, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

I am still awaiting for someone to do heads to heads comparison between recabled D2000 and D5000 to see how well they respond to recabling. As my other grief was a bit overdone to my taste bass, that could use a better control, and somewhat lacking micro resolution, although that as well could be the result of the upper bass overshadowing mids.

Those D2000 griefs you mention, sound a little bit similar to what mine sounded like before 100+ hour burn-in -- now they exhibit NONE of the things you mention. All is good.

Jun 14, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those D2000 griefs you mention, sound a little bit similar to what mine sounded like before 100+ hour burn-in -- now they exhibit NONE of the things you mention. All is good.

No questions, they got much better after burn in, but still lacking some of HD650 refinement. But like I said, most likely a good cable should address that.

Jun 14, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by clevermouse1984 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would suggest AKG K271. Pretty good sounding plus exellent isolation, and cost about $150.

Unamped? I Think not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back