Closed Headphones in the $600-$800 Range
Dec 12, 2019 at 11:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

BrianN

New Head-Fier
I'm by no means an audiophile and could use some help with an upcoming big purchase. Looking for some closed headphones in the $600-$800 range. Have some questions around the headphones I'd like to try and my lack of a source.

• I've shortlisted the Focal Elegia and the AEON Flow. They seem to be among the most recommended headphones in my price range (and the Elegias are pretty cheap on Amazon at sub-$600). (The Audeze LCD-2s were third, but would like to stick to two headphones for comparisons/returning to Amazon.) Honestly, I'm not sure about what signature I want in my headphones. I use my Sennheiser HD 598 SE all the time and have no major issues; just looking for a boost in quality in closed headphones I guess. Also purchased Ultimate Ears 10 Pro 12 years ago (kind of irrelevant to compare since they're customs and so old—prefer the 598s honestly), and I did have the Sennheiser 650s for a short period of time (I remember them fondly; wish I could take back getting rid of them).

• I don't have a DAC/amp and would like to hold off until later. It's one of my biggest concerns—I don't know if that's a terrible idea now that I'm in more high-end (for me at least) territory. For what it's worth, last year I tried the FiiO E10K with my 598s and couldn't for the life of me tell a difference at all vs. straight into my computer (my computer -- doesn't look like I have a special audio card).
I'd like to order the Focal Elegia and AEON Flow from Amazon and compare them (I don't have an audio store anywhere near me). Am I missing anything or should I be worried about holding off on any DAC/other components? I'll fill out the bolded areas for any additional info.

--

Budget - $600-$800 or possibly up to $1,000.

Source/Amp - Just my computer. Not sure if that's a big issue. Later on I can upgrade to a nice DAC, but that would be quite some time.

How the gear will be used - Elusively at home. I work remotely and need isolation to block out sound (toddler coming out of daycare and home with my wife).

Preferred tonal balance - I'm really not sure. Have no complaints about the sound of my 598s.

Preferred music genre(s) - Mostly hip-hop/rap and R&B. A little jazz and modern gospel.

Past gear experience - Sennheiser HD 598 SE is primary and like the sound; looking for a step up. Also have custom IEMs and once had the 650s, which were great from what I remember.

What aspect of your current listening experience would you like to improve? An overall boost in sound quality and need closed headphones for isolation. I'm no real audiophile but enjoy quality headphones.

Dec 14, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #4 of 7
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-beyerdynamic-dt177x-go-headphones I suggest checking these out. they are a bit under your budget (450 Normally) but I had these suggested to me somewhere else with a 500 dollar budget. However, I don't like recessed mids since I like Synth music.. You on the other hand like Hip Hop and R&B so these should be perfect for you because they are very aggressive. with big loud bass and fantastic highs. (Known as a "V Shape" headphones) Make sure you get the GO version of the headphones, as they are the ones with a XLR to 3.5 MM converter. (for plugging into a computers sound board) avoid the DT 1770 pro (the other version of these headphones) unless your planning on buying an amp. For future refrence, . 32 OHM = Able to use on computer and phone without external power. 250 OHM = Needs an amp or external XLR source, usually studio headphones and such.. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KAST95Y?pldnSite=1 Get these if you need other converters other than the included. I have done a ton of research on these and it seems like the best buy for V-shaped headphones till like the thousands. Hope I helped!

EDIT: here is a pretty good review that I found of them. I like this guy in general cause he is honest and tells exactly how it is. (he also loves more aggressive kinds of headphones)

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #6 of 7
Hi @BrianN,

I suggest the following in no particular order :

Neumann NDH 20
Sony 1AM2
Audio Technica MSR 9 (You may need a pad change, recommend Yaxi Comfort Pads in Alcantara)

Just my 2 cents, in place of DAC, a good affordable audio interface to consider is the Lexicon Alpha.

Feel free to ask more when you need.

Hope you have a great day !

Dec 15, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #7 of 7
You might put the new Aeon 2’s on your list as well haven’t heard them yet myself but seem to be a upgrade the the Aeon which I always thought was a very good headphone to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back