Closed headphones in the 150-200$ price range. Need help.
Dec 15, 2013 at 9:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

prog112

New Head-Fier
Hello guys.
I'm looking for some new closed cans headphones in the 150-200$ price range. My previous one AKG 272HD broke when I tried to fix them (defected cord) (read as: i screwed up) and now I'm looking for a replacement. I'm listening on a PC with "decent" soundcard with a preamp on the headphone output and I'm also using some bass boosts (mainly because AKG 272 sounded rather flat in that regard for me), but then again those software changes really did the trick so I'm not really hyped for some ultra bassy headphones.
Now the thing is I'm looking for headphones with a detachable cord/cable as for some reason I really tend to damage them a lot. I thought about simply getting the AKG 271 MKII which would be the same as 272 but with that detachable cord but then perhaps there are some other choices.

Music I'm listening: classical, choral (two main genres) as well as pop and other light/relaxing genres. Not much rock or metal really.

Any recommendations are really welcome!

Dec 15, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #3 of 10
How's the soundstage on these? Since I'm listening to choral music a lot, I really put emphasis on how are the instruments/voices are placed in the scene and how clearly one can distinguish them.

Dec 15, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #4 of 10
I'm not great with comparing soundstages, but it isn't small on the cop. I'd say it's about the size of the DT770. Placement felt good though, not as off as on the V-Moda Crossfade M-100s for instance.
But regarding that matter, you might wanna get somebody to second my opinion.

How far did you boost the bass on the K272? Might help another reccomandation.
I would've liked to suggest the more neutral Focal Spirit One, but they appear to be rather expensive outside of Europe and thus, above your price range.

Dec 15, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #5 of 10
  Hello guys.
I'm looking for some new closed cans headphones in the 150-200$ price range. My previous one AKG 272HD broke when I tried to fix them (defected cord) (read as: i screwed up) and now I'm looking for a replacement. I'm listening on a PC with "decent" soundcard with a preamp on the headphone output and I'm also using some bass boosts (mainly because AKG 272 sounded rather flat in that regard for me), but then again those software changes really did the trick so I'm not really hyped for some ultra bassy headphones.
Now the thing is I'm looking for headphones with a detachable cord/cable as for some reason I really tend to damage them a lot. I thought about simply getting the AKG 271 MKII which would be the same as 272 but with that detachable cord but then perhaps there are some other choices.

Music I'm listening: classical, choral (two main genres) as well as pop and other light/relaxing genres. Not much rock or metal really.

Any recommendations are really welcome!

A900x is a really good option if you have a regular head
wink.gif

They sound great with classical and pop, and do not impose any clamping.  They do have a bass punch to them, but it is on the more balanced side of things.

They took sort of a price hike after price inflation, but they have been as low as $99.

I think your soundcard will hold them back, but they have efficient drivers, so you should be able to have a quality experience regardless!

Have not heard a better contender yet in the price range, especially for the genres.  I do not think M100 will work with classical, and Beyer COP is far more congested for classical compositions.  Just my opinion of course

Dec 15, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #6 of 10
The beef with A900x is that they don't have detachable cord :frowning2: This is a must for me.
And the prices are bit too high for me. For reference: I'm ordering from Europe.

I boosted the bass quite a bit, I found the natural bass on AKG 272 lacking.

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #7 of 10
AKG K545 has detachable cables, more bass than the average AKG, and a very nice sound stage. It has the AKG sound with a bit more oomph in the bass.I am enjoying the heck out of my pair. Razor dog usually has at least a $25 coupon bringing the price down to $225 and sometimes has a $50 coupon bringing them down to $200.

Dec 15, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #8 of 10
Have not heard a better contender yet in the price range, especially for the genres.  I do not think M100 will work with classical, and Beyer COP is far more congested for classical compositions.  Just my opinion of course

Nah, the M-100 won't work with classical, I didn't reccomend it either, I just wanted to compare the stage with the COP, for the lack of a better comparison, since the M-100s stage is quite a bit off.
As for the COP; it would've been interesting how much the bass was boosted (be it 1, 3, 5 or 10 db) so one might know about how much bass is wanted here. But the COP being my first reccomendation was because I let myself being fooled a bit by his wish of a boosted bass. Plus I think at least for pop music it's worth reccomending, although I don't know about classical music with that either, not my personal taste. But I think you should always be trying 2 - 3 different headphones, even after asking a few people about it since nobody can tell what your personal preference will be. It's a shame the focal spirit one is so expensive in the US, here in Germany it goes for around $180, making it a rather great bang for buck can imo.

Dec 15, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #9 of 10

Nah, the M-100 won't work with classical, I didn't reccomend it either, I just wanted to compare the stage with the COP, for the lack of a better comparison, since the M-100s stage is quite a bit off.
As for the COP; it would've been interesting how much the bass was boosted (be it 1, 3, 5 or 10 db) so one might know about how much bass is wanted here. But the COP being my first reccomendation was because I let myself being fooled a bit by his wish of a boosted bass. Plus I think at least for pop music it's worth reccomending, although I don't know about classical music with that either, not my personal taste. But I think you should always be trying 2 - 3 different headphones, even after asking a few people about it since nobody can tell what your personal preference will be. It's a shame the focal spirit one is so expensive in the US, here in Germany it goes for around $180, making it a rather great bang for buck can imo.

I like the M80, but I have to nudge down the bass.  The M100 is a lot different, in ways I do not like haha.

But yeah, the Focal Spirit is way too expensive in the US!  Must be good if people buy it for twice the price it goes for in Germany hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back