* Closed Headphones guitar playing, £50
May 8, 2007 at 6:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

lukealexander

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, my girlfriend is looking for some headphones for her dad since his birthday is coming up. He plays guitar through an amp and they are all sick of the noise
icon10.gif

Something comfortable (for someone with a larger head) that is closed back with a long cord. The price needs to be around £50.

My thoughts turned to HD-25 but it seems a bit expensive and I have never personally heard it.
blink.gif

Ideas?

May 8, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #3 of 19
Any specific models in mind? I am not familiar with their ranges.

May 8, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 19
There's the Audio-Technica ATH-A500 that would fall within your budget, you might want to look at the Beyerdynamic DT770/80 if you can increase the budget.

I don't know what these would be like with a guitar amp though.

May 8, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #5 of 19
Cheapest I can see is around £70 for the A500's which is too expensive
frown.gif

May 8, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #6 of 19
I hate people who suggest whats not asked for but here I am doing it.

I would NOT suggest the 770's for guitar, its pretty much the one thing I really can't stand doing with them. Unless you like being super accurate, I think that my sr-60's are pretty much the perfect headphone for guitar, you can almost always find mine plugged into my guitar port. The problem is that yes, guitar playing can still be very loud on them, esp when I lived in a dorm room and someone was sleeping in the same room. But really, if he can be in a differnt room it shouldn't be a problem, the openness of the Grados help a lot in this use, it makes them sound a lot more like the guitar playing is happening in a room, not just in your head.

May 8, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by lukealexander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cheapest I can see is around £70 for the A500's which is too expensive
frown.gif

Have a look on AudioCubes, they should be under £50 with a couple of pounds postage (you might want to wait for peoples opinions with regards to the SQ of the 500 with a guitar amp).

May 8, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #8 of 19
Birthday is Friday so I (she?) would be ordering tomorrow daytime. Thanks for the Audiocubes tip.

Problem with Grados is the lack of availability in the UK in such a short time frame, as well the associated increase in costs (somewhat offset by the good exchange rate however).

The guitar playing would be going on in another room, adjacent to the living room so absolute silence isn't essential.

May 8, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #9 of 19
Birthday is Friday?

Time to walk into you neighborhood UK store and buy a Sennheiser HD280 off the shelf.

Not my fave, but best in your area on quick notice in your price range. If you had more time I'd recommend the Alessandro MS-1, as it is shipped $99 worldwide and is made by Grado and tweaked by suggestion of Alessandro for Musicians. Check it out at www.alessandro-products.com

May 8, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by lukealexander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Birthday is Friday so I (she?) would be ordering tomorrow daytime. Thanks for the Audiocubes tip.

Problem with Grados is the lack of availability in the UK in such a short time frame, as well the associated increase in costs (somewhat offset by the good exchange rate however).

The guitar playing would be going on in another room, adjacent to the living room so absolute silence isn't essential.

I'll get back to you tonight on this (I'm in central time zone so not to long from now) but I just got my KSC75's today and I have them and my beat to heck SR-80's at work and I'm surprised how close they sound in the guitar area, and they seem to leak a lot less, I'll plug them in when I get home and see how they do, but I think they might be your ticket if available. What kind of guitar does he play, I'll go ahead and guess classic rock and blues?

May 8, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #11 of 19
Got in one rally, on the music front. He is pretty good actually from what I know. Problem with the Koss is they are designed for portable use and hence the cord is likely to be short and thin? I am not to sure he would find them comfortable either, since they clip on the ear.

Jahn, UK stores outside London are totally woeful when it comes to high-end audio equipment and even then you are likely to pay through the nose versus online & US prices.

May 9, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #12 of 19
Any other takes boys?

May 9, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #13 of 19
From what I've read, people have been very satisfied with using their ms-1's on the guitar so thats my recommendation. I wouldn't buy any headphone off the high street unless it was in a major sale or heavily discounted because its probably a crap model or more likely, can be had more cheapily elsewhere.

btw which uni you doing financial economics at?

May 9, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #14 of 19
Thanks for the reply shadow. My first degree was Civil Engineering at Imperial College. This degree is at Univ of Liverpool (hometown).

The MS-1s do indeed come highly recommended but there is no way they would be here on time (I think?). Women you see - never leave enough time for anything
wink.gif
. Last headphone I bought in a store was John Lewis for a Sony EX-51, and we all know how *those* turn out haha.

May 9, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #15 of 19
Imperial and Liverpool nice.

Seems that Alessandro take at least week, more likely 2, for their goods to arrive in the EU going on member's experiences.

eBay (or Audiocubes but they make take longer) might be your best bet to get the headphones you're after considering your time restraints. As to which headphones well perhaps those HD 280 might fit the bill as they were made for studio usage. Heres an eBay listing but it is above your budget:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sennheiser-HD-...QQcmdZViewItem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back