Closed headphones for work
Mar 1, 2012 at 6:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Caphel

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I am looking for some headphones for work.  I am looking at closed ones as sound leakage would be a big no no.  Currently at home I am using AKG Q701s and love them, is there something similar in closed form that I can get. 

Currently I am looking at the below headphones:

1. DT770 Pro
  2. AKG K272
  3. SRH 840

The price of the above headphones are all similar and I do not want to spend much more than this.  I have a Fiio E7 I can use at work.

Mar 1, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #4 of 12
The Shure SRH840 are a bit bulky and unwieldy though... also add the Audio Technica ATH-M50 to your list, they're about $120 or so and are good all-arounders with no leakage (they clamp just right IMO).

Mar 1, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #5 of 12
HD25-1-ii's are theoretically portables rather fullsize, but they're portable **monitors** for professional use, so isolation and sq are excellent. Worth a look if you want something light and isolating and don't mind an on-ears design.

Mar 1, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
I am looking for some headphones for work.  I am looking at closed ones as sound leakage would be a big no no.  Currently at home I am using AKG Q701s and love them, is there something similar in closed form that I can get. 
Currently I am looking at the below headphones:
DT770 Pro
AKG K272
SRH 840
The price of the above headphones are all similar and I do not want to spend much more than this.  I have a Fiio E7 I can use at work.

Well, the DT770 Pros are for those that like a full bass.
Which DT770 Pro? 80-Ohm or 250-Ohm?

Mar 1, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #8 of 12
I am also looking for some closed headphones for work.

Currently I'm using the HD-438 but I'm looking for something with better quality. Budget is around 100 bucks.

I listen to all types of music, although I lean towards rock and electronic music. I'm a big sennheiser fan, I have HD-595s at home and love them, so I was considering getting the HD-448/449 but I'm not sure how much better they are than the 438s.

Any recommendations would be helpful. Thanks!

Mar 1, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #9 of 12
IMO Sennheiser's HD4** line has rather poor sound quality on account of their loose bass. 
Instead, the HD280 PRO would be a much better closed choice from Sennheiser. The HD25-1 II is also a great choice but pricey and not too comfortable. 

Since the OP like a flat, neutral sound, some good closed headphone options for him would be:
KRK KNS 6400
Beyerdynamic DT250
Koss Tony Bennet Signature
Fischer Audio FA-003 (or its clones)
Sony MDR-7509 HD

Mar 1, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #10 of 12
I liked my SRH840 when I had them. Used them at work about a year. I'm now using HD25-1 II and don't have any comfort complaints, really. They isolate as well as the SRH840 and are really light. The HD25 might give up pad comfort to the Shures inherently since they are supra- vs. circum-aural, but the 840s are also bulkier and heavier. HD25s have punchier bass. SRH840 has better sound stage (a lot) and smoother mids (a bit). I prefer the shorter and lighter cable on the HD25. The SRH840 coiled cable borders on bulky. The optional Shure straight cable ends up being way too long and you have to tie it up, which I didn't care for.

Mar 4, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #12 of 12
I will be able to report back in a couple of days with a comparison of the Senn 380pro, the Shure 840 and the ones I've got in the mail right now Senn PXC 450.  At first glance there is a significant price difference but I found them refurbished at Dakmart.com for under $230 shipped.  When I talked to them (call them don't order off the site)  they said they still had one pair left.  On paper it's one heck of an upgrade.  I'll report back as to how they are in reality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back