Closed headphones for work and subway
Nov 21, 2008 at 3:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

yoasif

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, long time reader/lurker, first time poster.

I used this site ages ago when I first bought my Grado SR-80s and Sony MDR-V6s.

Since I have given my MDR-V6s to my brother, I'm in the market for a new pair of cans. I looked at the recommended headphone list, and I'm not sure which pair would best fit my needs, and hoped that some of you could lend me some help.

I'm mostly going to use these at work to listen to electronica (house, trance, electro, etc.). I also listen to some rock, and lounge/female vocal, etc. Since these will be used at work, a headphone that doesn't leak sound is a definite plus.

My budget goes up to something like 200/250 total, in real prices. I'm in the USA (NYC). The other thing is, I don't want to use an amp, especially in a travel scenario. The optimal thing would be if I could buy an amp later and have it provide better sound, but not be necessary.

I liked the Grados more than the Sonys, although obviously the Sonys are closed.

From my reading, it seems like the Denon d1000 might be the best bet for me... any thoughts? I hope I've provided enough info, let me know if you need to know anything else.

Nov 21, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #2 of 9
I hear that the Denons do not isolate well at all. For work the Denons are fine, I think, but for the subway, no. Have you considered iems? They isolate very well.

Nov 21, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #3 of 9
I'm not really a huge fan of IEMs (they always seem to fall out of my ears, maybe I have small ear holes), but I will look into that forum now a bit. I'd still like some help with the full sized headphones, though. I'm thinking isolation won't be a huge issue, however, unless I am totally wrong.

Nov 21, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #5 of 9
yeah don't get d1001's if you need isolation. I second the hd25-1 II as well.

You could also try ath-a700's or the ath-m50.

Nov 21, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ub3rMario /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I second the hd25-1 II as well.

You could also try ath-a700's or the ath-m50.

I just started looking at the ath-a700s based on your recommendation, and they look great.

So do the hd25-1 IIs. However, which is better, from a sound quality perspective, irrespective of cost? I like the circumaural design more, but I'm more concerned with quality.

Also, I should be clear that the majority of the time, I will be listening at work. The subway ride is becoming more of a rarity, so it's really less of a concern generally.

Maybe I'll just get some marshmallows (or better) for subway/non work portable usage!

Also, should I be worried about amping the Sennheisers? Will the cmoy be good enough for portable amping on those?

Nov 21, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #8 of 9
If i were you, and knew i was going to be using them at work more than in transit i'd get the a700's. Easy choice for me because they're more comfortable + i personally think they sound better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back