Closed headphones for rock <$300
Apr 13, 2008 at 8:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

souperman

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently regrettably sold off my HFI780 for money reasons. However after the summer I'd like to have enough to buy another pair of closed headphones. I know this niche for a good pair of <$300 closed headphones is quite small, but I'd still like to try as I haven't heard that many.

Criteria:
1) I listen to a LOT of rock. I enjoy an agressive sound and I am not sensitive to sibilance (I enjoyed the 325i and the HFI780 while others said there was too much sibilance...LIES
tongue.gif
). I do not want a laidback, warm headphone. I want a fun and exciting headphone.
2) I enjoy a LOT of bass punch and impact. I do not like the D2000's because they didn't have ANY impact at all (just to put my judging of impact into perspective). The HFI780's had the right amount, so anything at the HFI780 level of bass impact or a little more is welcome. Anything less than the HFI780 is not welcome.
3) Comfortable. I'd like circumaural.

The headphones I have crossed off my list already are the ESW9 (too laid back and warm), the DT770 (too much bloated bass, not enough PUNCH), and any of the over-the-ears. The D2000 is not welcome either as it did not provide any fun listening for me. Please don't recommend these as I've already done enough thorough research on them and also auditioned them.

Right now, I am looking at the Sony V7506's with velvet pads. How is the bass impact on these headphones? Is it a fun headphone?

Thanks for any more suggestions.

Apr 13, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #6 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKG K271S? Or maybe Audio Technica ATH-A900?

I heard the K271S doesn't have very impactful bass, and the A900's I've tried before and doesn't have very impactful bass either.

And also, I know I can just buy these again later. I want to try out new headphones. That's why I created this thread.

Anybody have opinions on the MDR-7506?

Apr 13, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #7 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) I listen to a LOT of rock. I enjoy an agressive sound and I am not sensitive to sibilance (I enjoyed the 325i and the HFI780 while others said there was too much sibilance...LIES
tongue.gif
). I do not want a laidback, warm headphone. I want a fun and exciting headphone.

My HD580 are the funnest cans I've owned for rock, but these are open cans. Nice balanced sound. I listen to rock at loud volumes at least 3/4 of the time.
Quote:

2) I enjoy a LOT of bass punch and impact. I do not like the D2000's because they didn't have ANY impact at all (just to put my judging of impact into perspective). The HFI780's had the right amount, so anything at the HFI780 level of bass impact or a little more is welcome. Anything less than the HFI780 is not welcome.

I like a lot of bass punch and impact too for rock. I was considering the D2000 until I read your comment here. Did you amp your D2000 enough, or does it not punch the bass no matter how well amped? I found the Ultrasone sound fun for electronica with my PL650. Although it had lower, cleaner bass, it did not have the same visceral bass impact as my HD580.
Quote:

3) Comfortable. I'd like circumaural.

I also prefer comfortable and circumaural. For closed, circumaural, comfortable cans under $300 with bass impact, I would consider one of the Sennheiser HD25 models, not sure which one, and only if amping - so to get some nice bass impact.

Otherwise, if not needing closed, I'd recommend the HD580 with a nice amp.

Apr 13, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #8 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My HD580 are the funnest cans I've owned for rock, but these are open cans. Nice balanced sound. I listen to rock at loud volumes at least 3/4 of the time.

I like a lot of bass punch and impact too for rock. I was considering the D2000 until I read your comment here. Did you amp your D2000 enough, or does it not punch the bass no matter how well amped? I found the Ultrasone sound fun for electronica with my PL650. Although it had lower, cleaner bass, it did not have the same visceral bass impact as my HD580.

I also prefer comfortable and circumaural. For closed, circumaural, comfortable cans under $300 with bass impact, I would consider one of the Sennheiser HD25 models, not sure which one, and only if amping - so to get some nice bass impact.

Otherwise, if not needing closed, I'd recommend the HD580 with a nice amp.

Thanks, but I have the HD580. Also, I don't think our personal definition of bass impact is the same. The HD580's do NOT have any bass impact according to my own definition. I'm looking for a pair of closed headphones. The D2000's do not provide enough punch no matter how well amped. I tried it with my friend's Graham Slee Voyager to test out a really good SS amp. Nothing. Personally I don't believe that an amp can add impact to a headphone that doesn't really have much in the first place.

I'd still like to hear from anybody who's heard the MDR-7506.

Apr 13, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #9 of 48
Quote:

The headphones I have crossed off my list already are the ESW9 (too laid back and warm)

That is not a very accurate description, with stretched headband they lose thickness and become rather agressive, with still great punch in the lows but better treble and details. K271S might be to bland for your taste, ESW9 is much more exciting and fun.

Apr 13, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #10 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is not a very accurate description, with stretched headband they lose thickness and become rather agressive, with still great punch in the lows but better treble and details. K271S might be to bland for your taste, ESW9 is much more exciting and fun.

I don't know about that, as I've heard them personally before already, and I can't really describe them as exciting and fun despite loosening up the headband which my friend did already to decrease the pressure on the ears. Plus they are over the ear, and got quite uncomfortable pretty quickly. Thanks though.

Apr 13, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #11 of 48
Quote:

Thanks, but I have the HD580. Also, I don't think our personal definition of bass impact is the same. The HD580's do NOT have any bass impact according to my own definition.

That's funny because other than wanting closed cans, it seemed like you were describing my HD580. Obviously you're wanting a much better bass response.

Quote:

I'm looking for a pair of closed headphones.

Right. Maybe one of the Senn HD25 models?

Quote:

The D2000's do not provide enough punch no matter how well amped. I tried it with my friend's Graham Slee Voyager to test out a really good SS amp. Nothing.

I'm really grateful you posted this too, because I was close to buying the D2000 with the hope that it would give me a deeper, impactful bass than my HD580. Thanks!

Quote:

Personally I don't believe that an amp can add impact to a headphone that doesn't really have much in the first place.

Right, I agree, if no capability exists to begin with, then amping won't bring it out. Senns have a visceral impact that I like and have not experienced anything like it with other cans. And the bass impact improves when amping Senns.

Hope you find what your looking for, so I can buy them too.

Apr 13, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #12 of 48
Quote:

That's funny because other than wanting closed cans, it seemed like you were describing my HD580. Obviously you're wanting a much better bass response.

Not necessarily a better bass response, but a slammier punchier one.

Quote:

Right. Maybe one of the Senn HD25 models?

On the ear. No go.

Apr 13, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #15 of 48
Quote:

Not necessarily a better bass response, but a slammier punchier one.

I like that... slammier and punchier. Gimme!

Quote:

On the ear. No go.

That's right, the HD25's are supra-aural, a definite no go.

I'll just follow along now in hopes you get a good recommendation. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back