Closed headphones for portables
Sep 30, 2009 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

mow_the_hawk

500+ Head-Fier
Hey, it has been a while since I have have been here mainly because I have been busy, and very content with my phones. But, I am starting to itch for some closed cans I can use mainly for portable uses. So, I just want to gather some info about what cans I should be looking at.
From what I have seen, it looks like the Hd25-1II, SRH440/840, and the ATH-ES7 are my choices for under $200, which is what I am looking to spend. I listen to mainly indie rock, rock, acoustic/folk type things. Since they are for portable use, I would like the isolation to be at least pretty decent. These would be powered through an iphone, ipod, or laptop. I have been thinking about also getting a new portable amp/dac. Maybe Nuforce Icon Mobile?
So I am wondering, are there any other options out there? Which one of these/others would be best for my needs? Also, I have heard the SRH440, and thought they were quite nice, but, again, just wanted to know how they compared to my other options, and if the 840s were worth the extra cash. Thanks!

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #3 of 18
Used to own the ES7's and liked them quite a bit. Some people have problems with their fit and find them uncomfortable. I myself had no problems. I now use Denon 1001's for my portable cans. I like them better than the ES7's. Not a whole lot better but better. I think they have a little more low end than the ES7's had.

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #4 of 18
I use the ES7s and love their sound. However, I do find them uncomfortable. I've done the headband mod but I'm still not really happy wearing them for sustained periods. I plan on getting the Denon D1001 at some point and keeping the ES7 for showing off.

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #5 of 18
I, too, find the ES7's uncomfortable. Plus, I hugely prefer the sound of the HD25-1 II. It is in another league altogether. Neither needs a portable amp.

Oct 1, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 18
Okay, thanks everyone. So it seems like HD25-1II are worth the extra money? And are the HD25-1II better than the Shure 440s and 840s? Has anybody heard the Senns and the Shures?

Oct 1, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #9 of 18
I dont know about the 440's, but the Shure's look huge on my head, which is big by it self
biggrin.gif

you should check it out

Oct 1, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #12 of 18
x2 on the HD25. OSSOM FONES

Oct 3, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #13 of 18
bump, any other thoughts? Also, has anybody heard the HD25 and the new Shures? I am really wondering if the HD25 are worth the money over the SRH440, and how the 880s compare.

Oct 4, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #14 of 18
Add me to the list of people who find the ATH-ES7 uncomfortable. I have the SRH440s and like them very much. I may not end up keeping them, because I have more than one foldable, collapsible, studio monitor-type headphones, and others I might like to try. But I think they sound very nice. The sound signature is like the mid-level Shure IEMs, but, obviously, better bass. They do not seem big on my head at all, but you should know I have a gigantic head. I find them very comfortable, and tend to think I will keep them. I am listening to them right now, and they are keeping me happy. Isolation is great and leakage is low. All around, a great headphone. They did sound terrible for the first few hours though. Never heard the HD 25 -- I have been tempted, but I can't get past the chunky, sportscaster look.

Oct 4, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Add me to the list of people who find the ATH-ES7 uncomfortable. I have the SRH440s and like them very much. I may not end up keeping them, because I have more than one foldable, collapsible, studio monitor-type headphones, and others I might like to try. But I think they sound very nice. The sound signature is like the mid-level Shure IEMs, but, obviously, better bass. They do not seem big on my head at all, but you should know I have a gigantic head. I find them very comfortable, and tend to think I will keep them. I am listening to them right now, and they are keeping me happy. Isolation is great and leakage is low. All around, a great headphone. They did sound terrible for the first few hours though. Never heard the HD 25 -- I have been tempted, but I can't get past the chunky, sportscaster look.

Okay, thanks. It seems that I am going to be crossing the ES7 off my list. I have heard the SRH440, and thought they same thing. I like them very much, I just want to know how they compare to the SRH840 and the HD25, so I dont regret my decision because I cant hear the other two phones before I buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back