Closed headphones for office use
May 20, 2018 at 8:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tgray

New Head-Fier
I know that variations of this have been asked a million times, but...

Looking for a set of headphones for use in the office. I like over the ear headphones. I share an office with 3 other people, so closed is probably the way to go. Not sure if I'll have a DAC/amp, but will probably eventually pick up something small in the ~$100-150 range. I'll be playing off my iPhone, unless I get a cheap audio player. Looking to keep it under $300. I will NOT be putting music on my work computer, so it's either iPhone or audio player.

I don't really need noise canceling, but there is a giant vent right next to my desk, so I'm not opposed to it. I also don't need wireless but again am not opposed.

For reference, at home I'm using a pair of Sennheiser Massdrop HD-6XX (which I really like) with a Violectric V800/V200. I also have a pair of AKG-702 (replaced by the HD-6XXs) and a pair of Sony MDR-7506s that I've had for 20 years. I like the sound of the HD-6XXs, so something similar to that would be great.

I don't really have any good starting point. I briefly looked at the Sony WH-1000XM2 or MDR-1A. I guess those Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 headphones would be an option if I was willing to go over budget. I could also just by a little DAC/amp and take in the 7506s...

May 20, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #2 of 5
I have owned the Sony MDR-7506 at some point, so i think you should be more than fine for closed headphones for work...except that the ear pads are too small and flat. That can be fixed with HM5 angled pleather ear pads, which I tried, fit the MDR-7506 with the inside creases pointed at the ear lobes, and sound great with an expanded soundstage. You can get a pair of those for $15, but looks like it is coming from overseas, as others have said it took three weeks to arrive:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B06Y262HJ6/ref=mw_dp_olp?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Also, I suggest you get a music player to free up battery on your iPhone for more important tasks/things, and the Nintaus X10 looks to work for up to 60 hours on 30/100 volume, according to a review here. You can get it here:

https://penonaudio.com/music-players/nintaus-x10.html?sort=p.price&order=ASC&limit=100

And if you buy from Penon Audio, don’t forget to add a free 5-yr-anniv. gift from them. Just to note, the Nintaus comes with an apparently very good in-ear phone and ear tips, and the cable is not detachable. But anyways, here is the free gift link:

https://penonaudio.com/free-gift-for-5-years-anniversary.html

May 20, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #3 of 5
I have gotten a few of our office onto the PSB M4U1 as they are selling very cheap at $100NZD (the direct exchange rate puts these at $69 USD) they sound great, and add an amp in and they are even better.

I have the PSB M4U2 with noise cancelling for $300 ($207 USD) and they are as good but with internal amp.

I also have Polk Ultrafocus but found at higher volume noise leakage was a problem, although my workmates enjoyed how good they sounded from across the room!

As for more modern headphones, sorry no idea really!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back