Closed headphones for Commuting
Sep 17, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #17 of 47
I didnt like the BO H6, too much boomy bass. My latest kick is the NAD HP50 which i think are excellent for the price and are my go to over ears for home or on the go through my x5ii. Ive heard they are not super comfortable for larger noggins though. My desktop setup is a pair of 400i's out of a little dot i+ and a line out on the xonar d2 soundcard (cirrus logic dac). My ultra portable setup is the x3ii with a pair of knockoff SE846s with 5 BA drivers in each ear...aswell as some other IEMs that i switch around for various genres or reasons. I find the HP50s compliment my ultra portable and desktop setup well. They offer a well balanced sound with a subtle bass that digs deep which sounds simply captivating on a multitude of genres. I wouldnt say the highs are rolled off depending on the source but natural.
HP50 for commuting eh. Might as well wear a helmet too lol. I really wish I could demo these.... Still wouldn't buy them unless they literally blew my mind.

Sep 17, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #19 of 47
HP50 for commuting eh. Might as well wear a helmet too lol. I really wish I could demo these.... Still wouldn't buy them unless they literally blew my mind.

Yeah they are pretty great, the bass is addicting but somehow nuetral... its the way the bass sounds and how deep it digs, its something you have to hear to appreciate. I suspect it has something to do with the "roomfeel" marketing which i think is over hyped...but it definately makes a subtle difference. I think they look classy in black, not sure why everyone gives them such a hard time on the way they look. I think the beats headphones that everyones walks around with look ridiculous and childish but thats just me lol. Either way im used to large over the ear headphones, at my gym thats all the big guys wear lol.

Sep 18, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #21 of 47
Thanks for your helpful insights.

Having looked at the reviews for the Focal Listens , I feel they may be a bit bright for the Hugo2.

My commute is on a quietish train and sitting down and I just fancy a change from my excellent SE846s every now again, but without spending a fortune. So more IEMs are not what I want.

I need to consider the B&O H6s a bit more. I don’t need an overwhelming bass sound and it seems that the H6s with a “booming” bass and the Classics which have a bass emphasis, so both have some negative tendencies in that respect.

I have seen a pair of used Classics - which I still am favouring, because they would appear to offer something special about them - at a good price and if they go wrong spare parts are easy to get and fix, so that might be my best option.

A bit more hunting to do .........

Sep 18, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #22 of 47

Having looked at the reviews for the Focal Listens , I feel they may be a bit bright for the Hugo2.

My commute is on a quietish train and sitting down and I just fancy a change from my excellent SE846s every now again, but without spending a fortune. So more IEMs are not what I want.

I need to consider the B&O H6s a bit more. I don’t need an overwhelming bass sound and it seems that the H6s with a “booming” bass and the Classics which have a bass emphasis, so both have some negative tendencies in that respect.

I have seen a pair of used Classics - which I still am favouring, because they would appear to offer something special about them - at a good price and if they go wrong spare parts are easy to get and fix, so that might be my best option.

Maybe if you can have a listen to the H6's it might be worth it, you might think differently about the bass. There was not too many over ears that i was interested in which is why i got the HP50's...they were also on sale for $100 CAD so couldn't go wrong. I wonder what Hifiman is offering for closed cans? Might be worth a look.

Sep 18, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #23 of 47
Maybe if you can have a listen to the H6's it might be worth it, you might think differently about the bass. There was not too many over ears that i was interested in which is why i got the HP50's...they were also on sale for $100 CAD so couldn't go wrong. I wonder what Hifiman is offering for closed cans? Might be worth a look.

OK - you have me interested.

The HP50s may only be available second hand in the UK. BTW what is their noise isolation like ?

Edited for clarity

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #24 of 47
OK - you have me interested. They may only be available second hand in the UK.

BTW what is their noise isolation like ?

The H6's bass is not booming. It's mildly elevated, to a degree most would consider tasteful. That being said, if they're looking for a really neutral/flat sound signature, the H6 definitely is not that.

Isolation is quite good, and the soundstage is better than you would think looking at them.

Availability of the proprietary pads is the one major concern I would have.

Sep 18, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #25 of 47
The H6's bass is not booming. It's mildly elevated, to a degree most would consider tasteful. That being said, if they're looking for a really neutral/flat sound signature, the H6 definitely is not that.

Isolation is quite good, and the soundstage is better than you would think looking at them.

Availability of the proprietary pads is the one major concern I would have.

Thanks for the response. I was actually referring to the HP50s and have edited my post above but your response is helpful as regards the H6s

Sep 18, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #26 of 47

The boomyness in the H6 is very minor, otherwise it is a very balanced sound. And that extra little weight on the low end will come in handy for commuting. The bass in the 99 classics is much further North than that of the H6.

Sep 18, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #27 of 47
Thanks for the response. I was actually referring to the HP50s and have edited my post above but your response is helpful as regards the H6s
If possible it would be best to have a listen to both. The reviews on the HP50's said they had a slightly elevated bass but i found them to be quite neutral across the frequency spectrum, so people hear different things i guess. Given that you are coming from the SE846's though i would imagine you appreciate a tighter bass response. The H6's i found the bass a bit boomy and loose but others may not. That being said i only listened to the H6's for a bit and it was a while ago but i was not overly impressed for what you pay. They didnt sound bad by any means but to me it seemed they were tuned to appease the masses and sell to the most consumers as possible. The HP50's are $165 CAD on amazon.ca right now which i think is a great price considered what they were new. The isolation is maybe slightly above average provided they seal correctly like all over ears but obviously they wont isolate aswell as say the Bose with active NC based on those charts nor will they seal aswell as some of the in ear monitors mentioned earlier. Its interesting to note that they also have an active noise canceling version which is the HP70. One thing i should mention is that they are more suited for portable use and as such have smaller pads/cups which are not great for larger heads or specifically massive ears.

Sep 18, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #28 of 47
The boomyness in the H6 is very minor, otherwise it is a very balanced sound. And that extra little weight on the low end will come in handy for commuting. The bass in the 99 classics is much further North than that of the H6.
Very interesting the charts both look very similar, it looks like they were tuned to compete as the same class of headphone. Not sure if this helps with the decision but the H6's have more midbass according to the charts where the H6's are slightly more V shaped...perhaps thats what i didnt like about them when i listened to them a year ago or so. It looks like the HP50's isolate a bit better on the higher frequencies but the rest looks pretty close.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/NADVISOHP50.pdf

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BangOlufsenH6.pdf

Sep 18, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #29 of 47

Maybe listen to Zeo's sound demos for both cans. It's not exact, but should give you a general idea as to what the low end sounds like

Sep 18, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #30 of 47

Exact opposite, Focal Listen is warm and mellow with Hugo 2! Can sound nice, organic bass, but treble is too recessed for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back