Closed Headphones for College Listening
Jul 5, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Either way, any kind of leakage in a setting where others need to study/concentrate is pretty rude, IMO.

Understandable, but that's what the library's for. I know that I kept all of my phones in my dorm, and my roommate was totally understanding of my habits. That being said, we had greater noise problems too than an open pair of headphones.

Jul 5, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by crossmd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Understandable, but that's what the library's for. I know that I kept all of my phones in my dorm, and my roommate was totally understanding of my habits. That being said, we had greater noise problems too than an open pair of headphones.

Haha I know - that's what I'm talking about - using them in places like the library. But the last time I was at a college library, there was a whole lot of socializing and not much studying going on! A nice closed set of headphones would help the studiER to keep the other noise out, too :p

Jul 5, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #20 of 25
As a sophomore in college, I'd say you should bring the grados to college if you really like the sound: there's no closed cans that can substitute the grado sound. Your roommate will probably not care in most occasions as the leak isn't that bad.
For uses in the library, gym, etc., I just found it more convenient to carry small iem/earbuds, like ER-4P or PK2's.

Jul 6, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #21 of 25
If you get your own room in college, bring an open headphone. I won't have any issues next year in my apartment because I'll have a room to myself. However, if you're studying in the library, it would be good to carry some decent IEMs with you. You'll find that full sized cans aren't practical to carry around but will provide great listening when you have a chair to sit down in and enjoy the music.

Jul 6, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #22 of 25
I'm going to Emory University in Atlanta. Anyone one else heading there or already there? I'm going to get my D2000's repaired and look into some decent portable DACs and DAC/amps. Thanks everyone for the input! And anymore input into DACs that are good for college life then please let me know
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by shasty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a sophomore in college, I'd say you should bring the grados to college if you really like the sound: there's no closed cans that can substitute the grado sound. Your roommate will probably not care in most occasions as the leak isn't that bad.
For uses in the library, gym, etc., I just found it more convenient to carry small iem/earbuds, like ER-4P or PK2's.

My roommate had a pair of Grado's, SR60's I think, and I never heard them or had a problem with him listening to them so I think you'd be ok.

Jul 7, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #25 of 25
ATH-M50s have actually edged out AD900s as my all-time favorite phones. The crazy part is that they are only $60! You owe it to yourself to try a pair!
What makes them truly awesome is a 100% flat response. No coloration at all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back