closed headphones for around 150$...
Jul 29, 2008 at 12:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Icewyng

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy new closed phones since I am not satisfied with my pair of K81DJ (They'll be up for sale soon!). I also have a pair of SR-80 that I truly enjoy and would love to have something close to that sound. My budget would be around 150$

I am using a Rockboxed Sansa e260 MP3 Player with no portable amp (not yet!). I listen to mostly metal, with some rock and progressive music.

I have done some research and seems the HD25-1 & AT ES-7 would be good choices? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 14
I had the ES7's for about a year and really enjoyed them. Traded them for some HD595's. Will probably try to buy another pair as I enjoyed them that much. You might also consider Denon D1001's. I have a pair on the way right now.

Jul 29, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 14
My first can choice was between the ES-7 and the D1001s. I went with the Denons based on reviews and posts here about their comfort for extended listening sessions.

I love mine.

Jul 29, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #4 of 14
Just got the Denons. Have to say that straight out of the box am impressed with their sound. I actually think that they might be better than the ES7's. It has been awhile since I owned them, but I honestly think I like them better. Might have to reconsider the statement I made earlier about buying another pair of ES7's. It would have to be a sweet deal to get me to do so. The Denons would be quite a bit under your budget to. Check out buy.com.

Jul 30, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #5 of 14
Those Denons looks so great... But I am in Canada and I do not think they ship here
frown.gif
and BuyCanada doesn't have those.

what do you think of your Denons so far? How's the bass?

Jul 30, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icewyng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those Denons looks so great... But I am in Canada and I do not think they ship here
frown.gif
and BuyCanada doesn't have those.

what do you think of your Denons so far? How's the bass?

I have not heard the D1001, but I have read around here and elsewhere and I hear them described as being "accurate and clear, maybe a little boring and lacking in bass" If you want more bass, I can recommend the M-audio Q40's, which I own. They are awesome and it will be awhile before I buy another headphone. Use the search function and find the thread by Warrior05 about them. Also the Equation RP22x are supposed to be comparable to that and have good bass response, but I've not heard those.

Jul 30, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by hauntingtheholy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not heard the D1001, but I have read around here and elsewhere and I hear them described as being "accurate and clear, maybe a little boring and lacking in bass" If you want more bass, I can recommend the M-audio Q40's, which I own. They are awesome and it will be awhile before I buy another headphone. Use the search function and find the thread by Warrior05 about them. Also the Equation RP22x are supposed to be comparable to that and have good bass response, but I've not heard those.

Those phones looks very promising... I have checked Warrior05 thread and I'd say they are close to what i am looking for.

How would compare them to other phones you own? Just so I have an idea... and where did your get your pair?

Jul 30, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #8 of 14
don't bother with the D10001's, they're the same as the D1000's which are going a lot cheaper.

Jul 30, 2008 at 12:12 PM Post #9 of 14
bass on d1000's isnt the best.

Mine is recabled. even so the bass isnt prevalent.

but the sound is detailed and the treble is excellent for a headphone of this price.

when ur only playing with 150 dollars you have to trade off. for rock id say jump on the grado bandwagon grab and sr60 and recable it grab some new pads etc

Jul 30, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Junesequa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when ur only playing with 150 dollars you have to trade off. for rock id say jump on the grado bandwagon grab and sr60 and recable it grab some new pads etc

Well, I do have recabled SR-80...
smily_headphones1.gif
They are just incredible for rock/metal and love the sound of those. They aren't going anywhere anytime soon!!

The reason I am looking for closed headphones is because I have a 50 minutes bus ride to go and get back from work so I'd love to have great phones to listen to music and not have people guessing what I am listening to.
ksc75smile.gif

Bass is important for me, but not at all costs. Something more balanced would be fine as well. The closest they are to the SR-80 sound, the better (I realize soundstage won't be great on closed phones but hey, I can live with it).

Jul 30, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #11 of 14
I don't know what you people are talking about when you say they have no bass. They may not have enough for the true basshead but for the average person the bass is pretty prevelant IMHO. I had the SR80's and I think the Denons have just as much if not more bass than the Grados. These are definitely keepers.

Jul 30, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know what you people are talking about when you say they have no bass. They may not have enough for the true basshead but for the average person the bass is pretty prevelant IMHO. I had the SR80's and I think the Denons have just as much if not more bass than the Grados. These are definitely keepers.

I have to agree they Denon's do have a deeper sounding bass than the Grado's, or I should say, I'd choose the Denon's over the Grado's when it comes to bass., but the Denon's are no bassheads dream. For that, there's the EQ RP21's although the Denon's offer better clarity and they are one of THE most comfortable headphones ever!

Personally i'm now thinking of the Roland RH200

Jul 30, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #13 of 14
Ok, let's resume what we have so far:

M-Audio Q40
Denon 1000/1001
Equation RP-21
(Roalnd RH-200?)

Read that the Q40 were neutral phones with some good bass, 1000 has more of a balanced sound. RP-21... I'll have to look into those, as for the Rolands.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #14 of 14
I'd be curious to see what anyone has to say about the Roland RH-200 (and/or the RH-300, though it's out of the OP's budget), as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back