Closed headphones for an open-back and speaker user
Jun 26, 2020 at 4:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

khanfluence

New Head-Fier
I recently switched to a slightly noisy home environment, and I want to block it out a bit. I don't need a ton of isolation, but I can hear everything with my current headphones (Sennheiser HD 558). I'm not interested in IEMs and am looking for over-ear, closed-back headphones.

My concerns are:
  • Comfort: I wear glasses and am slightly picky about how things sit on my ears. I might struggle to get a good seal with a closed-back. I can wear my HD 558s for hours - I like the velour pads.
  • Sound signature: I like my HD 558s. From most to least often, I listen to rock, pop, blues, and jazz. I also play video games. I listen at low to medium volume through a 1st-gen Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (suggested max impedance of 200 ohms).
  • Soundstage: I expect this to take a dive, but I don't think I'd enjoy something extremely narrow.
I'm targeting $200 but am willing to spend almost twice that for something excellent. Looking around, I've seen (but am not limited to):
  • Beyerdynamic DT 770: These could be my best bet. I'm hoping they're not bright.
  • Shure SRH840: I briefly tried these years ago and remember them feeling heavy and uncomfortable. I don't remember how they sounded.
  • Audio-Technica ATH-M50x: I doubt this is what I want. Only including them because they seem to get mentioned a lot.
  • Meze 99: I don't like how many times I've read about these having overbearing bass.
  • AKG K550: I don't think I can find these now. I'm not sure how well they would seal, anyway.
Thanks in advance.

Jun 26, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #2 of 5
Soundmagic HP151 closed headphones (32-Ohm), they are like an improved DT770.
Not a tight seal, but it should make it easier for wearing glasses.
AKG K553 headphones, also not a tight seal, so a plus for glasses.
Sennheiser HD598 closed version.

Jun 28, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks, I hadn't found the HP151 and will definitely consider them. In what way are they an improved DT 770?

I've heard glasses wearers complain about getting a good listening experience with AKG K headphones, so I'm not sure on those.

I've read many different opinions of the HD 598 Cs. What makes them worth considering?

Jun 28, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks, I hadn't found the HP151 and will definitely consider them. In what way are they an improved DT 770?
I've heard glasses wearers complain about getting a good listening experience with AKG K headphones, so I'm not sure on those.
I've read many different opinions of the HD 598 Cs. What makes them worth considering?
Soundmagic HP151 has a better mid range and tighter control of the bass.
The AKG K240 series is a slightly tighter grip, but the AKG K551/K553 are loser around the ears. (I own the K550).
Sennheiser HD598CS just another option, if the HD558 are something you can wear for long periods, then the HD598CS should be the same.
I would hope you get the HP151, you can use the HP151 for lively sound listening and the HD558 when your looking for a more relaxed sound.

Jul 10, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #5 of 5
I went with the HD 569 and used Equalizer APO to bring both them and my existing headphones closer to a sound I like. They are comfortable and isolate more than the HD 558, though not an amazing amount (expected and happy).

Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back