Closed headphones for $50?
Aug 20, 2004 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

comabereni

1000+ Head-Fier
I want to get my kids some headphones that meet the following criteria:

- sound decent
- can withstand abuse
- isolate the sound so I don't have to hear what they are listening too while I'm trying to think. Or sleep.
mad.gif
tongue.gif

- cost $50, plus or minus a dozen or two

The withstand abuse requirement is pretty high on the list. For some reason, my kids are brutal on headphones--we've gone through a couple hundred dollars in the past year or two. I suspect I'm fully in the plastic price range at my quoted budget, but I know some are better built than others. Two pairs of Optimus Pro-40's I bought for general family use were broken within weeks. We lost two more pairs of of 'phones last week. Just nuts. (Yes, they are forbidden to even touch my headphones, and they know better than to do so
biggrin.gif
).

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Aug 20, 2004 at 10:25 PM Post #2 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by comabereni
I want to get my kids some headphones that meet the following criteria:

- sound decent
- can withstand abuse
- isolate the sound so I don't have to hear what they are listening too while I'm trying to think. Or sleep.
mad.gif
tongue.gif

- cost $50, plus or minus a dozen or two

The withstand abuse requirement is pretty high on the list. For some reason, my kids are brutal on headphones--we've gone through a couple hundred dollars in the past year or two. I suspect I'm fully in the plastic price range at my quoted budget, but I know some are better built than others. Two pairs of Optimus Pro-40's I bought for general family use were broken within weeks. We lost two more pairs of of 'phones last week. Just nuts. (Yes, they are forbidden to even touch my headphones, and they know better than to do so
biggrin.gif
).

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Spend more. Sony Eggos D-66. $100.

Aug 20, 2004 at 10:36 PM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Scarpitti
Spend more. Sony Eggos D-66. $100.

Thanks, I'll certainly consider it. Please note I'm buying four pairs for my kids, so I'd like to avoid doubling my budget if possible.

Also:

One pair if for a 7-year old.
Another is for a 10-year old.

It's those two I'm worried about
rolleyes.gif

Are Eggos my only hope for non-destructible 'phones that isolate and sound "decent"?

Thanks.

Aug 20, 2004 at 10:39 PM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Thanks, I'll certainly consider it. Please note I'm buying four pairs for my kids, so I'd like to avoid doubling my budget if possible.

Also:

One pair if for a 7-year old.
Another is for a 10-year old.

It's those two I'm worried about
rolleyes.gif

Are Eggos my only hope for non-destructible 'phones that isolate and sound "decent"?

Thanks.

They're rugged enough if treated properly.

Aug 20, 2004 at 10:45 PM Post #7 of 29
Hey man, if your kids are losing/breaking headphones that often, maybe you'd be better off getting them some cheap earbuds like the MX500? The cord may be a bit thinner but I bet a 7 year old could step on them and not break them. Get 4 pairs for $60 - 80. I think they fit your requirements.

Aug 20, 2004 at 10:47 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
But these are young kids, "proper" probably ain't part of their lexicon.

These are some great kids (of course, they're mine), but they have this problem with draping headphone cords over the arms of our office chairs. Headphones often get dragged onto the ground when the chair is turned or rolled back, and then they get kicked around a bit before someone notices and picks them up. That's what I'm up against.

Aug 20, 2004 at 11:03 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

These are some great kids (of course, they're mine), but they have this problem with draping headphone cords over the arms of our office chairs. Headphones often get dragged onto the ground when the chair is turned or rolled back, and then they get kicked around a bit before someone notices and picks them up. That's what I'm up against.

Well, it's never too early to start educating kids about the value of things and taking care of things.

Aug 20, 2004 at 11:04 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Well, it's never too early to start educating kids about the value of things and taking care of things.

There is also a cheaper model, the MDR-D22, but I don't know who sells them.

here:

http://www.audiocubes.com/index.php?...3bf86197f7984e

Aug 21, 2004 at 12:14 AM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

the sony v6 is the epitome of having the cable getting stuck to something and get drags. it have a 8ft coiled cord that stretches very long. a few times i get it stuck to something and walk 5-6 feets away and get pull backed. otherwize its quite a durable headphone.

all heaphones made these days are easy destructable or the cable will break overtime. even though i care for my equipments and used lots of, i still feel nothing is tough enough.

and those big headphones seem bulky for 7 and 10years old. how about 50 pairs of cheap earbuds that cost .99cents?

Aug 21, 2004 at 1:17 AM Post #14 of 29
Yeah, I wouldn't even consider buying them anymore phones until they started to take care of them better.

The ones that break just tape em back together. If they want better ones, they'll have to take care of what they got. Eggos if you won't go that direction.
eggosmile.gif

Aug 21, 2004 at 1:48 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
and those big headphones seem bulky for 7 and 10years old. how about 50 pairs of cheap earbuds that cost .99cents?

im on the same boat, probably 5 pairs of mx400 earbuds should do, thats roughly $50

Users who are viewing this thread

Back