Closed headphones do not seal well
Jan 2, 2010 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Boxman

New Head-Fier
So I've got this pair of Sennheiser PC350 closed 150ohm headphones. In the beginning, I thought I had a defective pair - they sounded really small, like cheap chinese ipod earbuds.

After a few days, it came to my attention that they only sounded great when I pressed the cups against my head. On the very bottom of the cups, just where my jaw connects to the rest of my skull, the sealing pleather cover does not seal off, so there's effectively an airpipe. This totally wastes all the bass.

So now i'm sitting here with an elastic band wrapped around my head to keep the bottom of the cups tight to my ears - not quite comfortable.

Any ideas on to how I can elegantly solve this problem, to make the cups seal tight, as they should?

Jan 2, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So now i'm sitting here with an elastic band wrapped around my head to keep the bottom of the cups tight to my ears - not quite comfortable.

Hahaha, funniest thing i've read all year.

In regards to your problem though, there's a PC350 modding thread here that may be of help.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/mod...eadset-406187/

Jan 2, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #3 of 5
Ah well the year has only been two days yet xD

Yes i have indeed read that thread, but that's some drastic measures and it's not really solving the problem - it's changing the complete acoustics of the set in order to compensate for not sealing well.

If there were to be a normal way to get these things to seal off around my ears, they would sound the way they were designed to do. Let's brainstorm
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 5
Does not sound like they suit your head size/form. Sell and get a different pair maybe?

Jan 2, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does not sound like they suit your head size/form. Sell and get a different pair maybe?

It's quite the one-of-a-kind actually.. Haven't seen any good alternatives yet with full-cover, sturdy and very HQ mic and jack-only plugs. I've seen some 5.1 and 7.1 alternatives, all USB headsets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back