Closed Headphones below $200
May 20, 2013 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

tetsugo

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody, I'm starting in the vast headphone world... I'm from outside from EUA and a friend of mine will travel and buy a headphone to me. I'd buy a Shure SRH-840 but I found out that it has a poor build and is flimsy, and warranty with Shure is very hard to me because I'm don't live in EUA.

So... What headphones you reccomend me? I like to hear Metallica, Pearl Jam, Muse, Bach, Dream Theater, The Prodigy... Some like this. I like bass, but not TOO MUCH. I like to feel the strong presence of bass in music, but nothing that bothers...

May 20, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
Welcome to headfi, sorry about your wallet. 

Do consider the Ultrasone HFI-780, good bass (not exaggerated) along with nice mids. 

The HFI 780 is cheaper than 580 at amazon... It is normal?

HFI 780: 149,95
HFI 580: 189,00

And the HFI-2400? It is superior enough to justify the extra cost? It is $199 at amazon.com

--EDIT--

Any other suggestions in the same style of HFI 780?

I really liked this headphone from what I read, but if it isn't in stores, which headphone is so good as this?

May 20, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 11
ath-m50.  Hands down, best deal for around 150.  
They've got looks, durability, and most importantly, sound.
I find it to be really good even without an amp, but sometimes the highs arent as clear as i want them to be

May 21, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #8 of 11
Hello!

ATh-M50 or/and SRh-840 is not a smart choice for metallic! Not sure about others but I like how the Sony MDR-7506 play with metallic. 

I hope this help!
Billson :D

May 21, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #9 of 11
OH the dt-770 pro 250ohm are also an option. Stole this from Zombie_X mini review of the 770's.

This Ohm version is good improvement over the 320hm version. It has improved dynamics and transients are pretty good. The bass while, tight and controlled is kind of slow sounding. The bass seems to extend just as much as the 32Ohm model but has a little less weight to the bass. Now the mids are more recessed or shallow sounding on this model compared to the other two models, but are more detailed and transparent than the lower models. The treble though is rather strident sounding and this can has more treble than the lower two versions. The treble seems to take over the sound on modern mastered stuff. One thing to note is that the treble is more extended as well and even more detailed. Now the soundstage on this model is pretty good for a closed headphone, but still rather closed in.

May 21, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #10 of 11
Hello everybody, thank you for the answers...

I like to know a store in Miami (because my friend will go to Miami in next week). You know some store that have one or more  of these headphones (for the price that I want the headphones XD) ?

1 - Ultrasone HFI-780
2 - AKG K 272 HD
3 - Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 250 ohms
4 - Audio Technica M-50
5 - Shure SRH-840

May 21, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #11 of 11
I'd recommend the SoundMAGIC HP100s.  I don't think they're available except online, but I've tried almost all those headphones, and I think they're superior to all of them.
The HFI-780s are all bass and highs to my ears, and the S-Logic is kind of weird.  They're also pretty clampy and not very comfortable.
The K 272 HD are poorly built and had a plasticky sound to them.
I own the DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm version.  It does a lot of things well, but it's pretty bass-heavy and details can get lost.  The HP100s are clean and clear and well balanced.
The M50 is decent, but clarity is only so so, and they're not very comfortable.  I think the HP100s are superior in all areas.
The 840s sound pretty good (from what I remember; it's been a while), but they're pretty heavy and uncomfortable (the pads are shallow and the headband is heavy).
For $200, I don't think you can do better than the HP100s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back