Closed Headphones: Battle Royale
Nov 10, 2009 at 3:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Othello3

New Head-Fier
I am looking for phones that I can use for studying in a relatively quiet library. Thus, isolation is not an issue but leakage is an issue. The next most important criterion is comfort as I have every intention of listening to these cans for hours on end. My price range is around $100

The cans I am currently considering are the

Shure SRH440/SRH 840
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
Denon AH-D1001
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80

I am currently leaning towards one of the first two because they fold nicely and seem to have really solid constructions. I listen to a wide array of genres but mostly classic rock and jazz.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 10, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Othello3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking for phones that I can use for studying in a relatively quiet library. Thus, isolation is not an issue but leakage is an issue. The next most important criterion is comfort as I have every intention of listening to these cans for hours on end. My price range is around $100

The cans I am currently considering are the

Shure SRH440/SRH 840
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
Denon AH-D1001
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80

I am currently leaning towards one of the first two because they fold nicely and seem to have really solid constructions. I listen to a wide array of genres but mostly classic rock and jazz.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The HD280pro are neither comfortable nor are they built strong.

If you are not opposed to in-ear units, give something like this a try:
Head-Direct.com | YUIN
30$, decent sound, great isolation, and no sound leakage.

Nov 10, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you are not opposed to in-ear units, give something like this a try:
Head-Direct.com | YUIN
30$, decent sound, great isolation, and no sound leakage.

I actually have a pair of great IEMs but they are not comfortable for more than an hour at a time. I would like to have a solid pair of circumaurals to use when I need something I can sit with for hours on end.
darthsmile.gif

Nov 10, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #4 of 18
the dt770 is built like a tank but is really large.
also consider the audio technica ath-m50. foldable, well built, sounds great (neutral highs, mids, kind of strong bass) , runs well from an mp3 player

Nov 10, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #6 of 18
x3 ATH m50 : They are quite durable, I carry mine back and forth to work each day crammed in my backpack. I find them comfortable and wear them for hours a day. The sound is good but not as clear and tight as I would like. But overall a good choice for this use.

Nov 10, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I disagree. I have two pair of HD280pro and I find them quite comfortable. One I have had over a year, the other for several years. They are made of plastic but they are durable.

Nov 10, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #8 of 18
This is the first time I've read a comment about the hd280s being comfortable. Over the years, I've owned many pairs of headphones. The 280s were by far the least comfortable.

Nov 10, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by moodyrn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the first time I've read a comment about the hd280s being comfortable. Over the years, I've owned many pairs of headphones. The 280s were by far the least comfortable.

Agreed.

The 280s clamp pretty hard and their headband cracks easy.

Nov 10, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can try the GMP 8.35 D Monitor that is sound great, and you can mod by changing the pads, as well check out the Ultrasones.

x2 on the 8.35D's. They sound great and isolate quite well.

Nov 10, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lavcat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree. I have two pair of HD280pro and I find them quite comfortable. One I have had over a year, the other for several years. They are made of plastic but they are durable.

Hope you didn't pay more than 80$, because the HD280pro are documented to be defective by design. The headband cracks just under normal use. And yet, sennheiser still sells them..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back