Closed headphones : Bass like DT770 Pro/80, but better mids?
Aug 3, 2008 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Squirsier

500+ Head-Fier
Heya
smily_headphones1.gif

After trying out numerous pair of canalphones, earbuds and headphones, I missed the bass on the DT770 too much. I listen to a lot of electronica, most of which is down tempo, cinematic kind of music which sounds amazing with deep and booming bass. Yes. I figured it out, I AM a basshead after all
beyersmile.png

I own a pair of Grado Sr325i, which I bought less than a month ago that I don't like (I owned SR60 before then, and I really liked them - cept for the bass and opened nature of them) so they're probably gonna go on the FS thread pretty soon. Highs are too harsh and bass is... well there, but not really deep (although I haven't burned them in properly).

However, I'd like to know if a pair of closed headphone can deliver the same kind of bass the DT770 Pro/80 can, but with way better mids. Right now I have to use the "Treble Booster" EQ effect on my iPod for the whole spectrum to be good to my hears. Otherwise, they sound really dark. But that EQ setting is far from being the solution. The highs on the DT770 are fine for me but I would only like to put the mids forward a bit - but can't do custom EQ on the iPod.

I've been reading here like crazy, and I just can't tell. At first, I thought I'd need pro DJ headphones, but then I read that most of them have a bit of recessed mids to put the bass and highs forward to better hear mixing cues. Makes sense. I've read about all kinds of Ultrasone (the HFI 780 apparently are pretty much like the DT770 in sound), Denon AH-D2000 (is bass is similar?) and various AKGs...

Thanks for the help, again...
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit : Forgot to mention budget... $500 tops is what I am willing to go for
smily_headphones1.gif
And they'll be driven from a RSA Predator.

Aug 3, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #2 of 30
Since your budget is nice and high the D2000 sounds like it would be something to look into
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 3, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #3 of 30
If you looked around a bit you could probably find the Denon D5000s for around $500- possibly less.

Aug 3, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 30
x2 on the Denon AH-D2000

Aug 3, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by | Scorpio | /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you looked around a bit you could probably find the Denon D5000s for around $500- possibly less.

Thanks for the tip! I found $394 at the lowest (!!) and another store selling at $459 but both are backordered. The lowest I could find, available, was $549! Interesting tho...

Aug 3, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #6 of 30
Nope!!! I have to disagree with the statements that the D-2000/5000
Have the same bass Slam of the dt700s. The 5000s come very close but the impact is just short. It's a different type of bass if that makes sense?
The Dt770s just hits twice as hard as the cans mentioned. I know I have/had all 3. Just sold the 2000s.
That's what really got me interested in the Denons in the first place.
Everyone claimed they have mad bass, Not really true.
And it's not a source issue.
Nad C542>Little Dot Mkv,Little Dot MkII,Trav Red or Sr-71>cans
As you see I have plenty of amps and my cdp isn't too bad either
smily_headphones1.gif
And the Denons fall short in the bass department. The Dt770s are TRUE bass monsters.
If someone can really recommend a closed can with the bass of the Dt770 and a sweeter mid, I'm all ears. So far I haven't found it but still looking
smily_headphones1.gif
You put the mids/highs of the Denons and the bass of the Dt770 in a closed can, You'll never see me here again. Because I will no longer be in the search for another set of cans.

Aug 3, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokenganjaclan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If someone can really recommend a closed can with the bass of the Dt770 and a sweeter mid, I'm all ears. So far I haven't found it but still looking
smily_headphones1.gif

how about L3000 or Edition 9 ?

Aug 3, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how about L3000 or Edition 9 ?

These cans are in my " interest" Stack but that's a ton of cash to drop and not be happy with the results. A for sure try before you buy.

Aug 4, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokenganjaclan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
You put the mids/highs of the Denons and the bass of the Dt770 in a closed can, You'll never see me here again. Because I will no longer be in the search for another set of cans.

Well, thanks for summing up my research here. I'm not sure it was your thread about the D2000 vs DT770 that I read earlier but it was very informative! Now, If I can find the same thing you're looking for, we're gonna be 2 less on this board
beyersmile.png

On a side note, I know portable EQs exists (from the likes of Koss) but they look to be extremely cheap (in money and construction..). However, maybe I haven't looked deep enough, but I never saw the likes of "RSA EQ" or other DYIER take on the portable EQ.
confused_face(1).gif

Aug 4, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Duh... didn't Duggeh solve this already? "Darthbeyer" Headphile??

Interesting, I'll have a looksy, thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 4, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #12 of 30
The HFI-780 is better overall than the DT770pro/80 and sound as an open headphone*. The DT770pro/80 need a very good amp to sound airier and spacious or else, it sound closed in. *The bad is that they leak a lot of sound. The bass Slam is comparable to the DT770pro (about a 98% of it last (when the earcups are very close to the ears (when not it is less))) and sound excellent without an amp (really doesn't need any). The DT990 is another alternative (yes, it is open but it leak less sound, amongst all the open headphones and even (various (if not all the))semi open..., and isolate a lot (about the same as than DT770pro/80)) , it have a 9% more bass slam than the DT770pro/80 and better mids (much less recessed) and much better highs and bass. the bass has the same extension but less quantity in that zone.
I don't known if the "new" Kenwood KH-K1000 are the solution, but according to that thread (very early opinions) they "seem" better than denons, but not sure at all (or nothing in reality, because i am interested in them too)

Aug 4, 2008 at 10:36 AM Post #13 of 30
Aug 4, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #14 of 30
I think the HFI780 would be a very good option. Tons of bass, no recessed mids, clear highs and they do well without an amp.

Aug 4, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #15 of 30
Thanks everyone for the input
smily_headphones1.gif

My choices seems to be between having the Dt770 "Darthed" (2 months wait for a finished product tho) or try the Ultrasone HFI780.

From what I read tho, someone owning both the HFI780 and the Dt770 pretty much said both are equivalent headphones : http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bey...1/#post4556167

Someone liked the HFI780 'cept for the build quality (where both users here prefered the Beyers build quality) : http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/dt7...ml#post4497113

The idea of the HFI780 having S-Logic Surround Sound is intriguing tho. Better soundstage? Would be so much easier if there was a local store here with all those brands of headphones. Maybe I need to start my own Quebec Headphone store
wink.gif

*shrug*. Guess we need to convince Beyer do create the Dt770.5
wink.gif
Same bass, better midrange
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back