Closed headphones $350+- (amped by PHA-1).
Aug 22, 2013 at 6:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ZzBOG

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I wonder what would be the current recommendation for closed headphones?

I have Q701 and waiting for Sony PHA-1 to arrive. I realized however that I need some isolation. I see Sennheiser Momentums are getting attention, I have HD25-II however, so am curious to explore other sound signatures..

Given that I have PHA-1 I guess I can got for a high-impendance headphones I guess.

So it's Momentum vs ..?

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #2 of 8
Take your pick: V-MODA M-100, BeyerDynamic DT 1350, Sony MDR-1R, other Sennheisers, or even IEMs.

Aug 22, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 8
Hi, thank you! 

I looked at these, Sony look interesting, but looks like the views on SQ is somewhat mixed there. Also I don't care about portability at all (I have triple-fi's and actually rarely listen to music on the go) so VModa's selling features (folding etc.) are actually not that important. 

The only feature besides isolation and HQ would be detachable cable (I break those often). Given that extra info could you point me to anything else? Or are those the big three of sub-400 closed cans?

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #4 of 8
If you break cables often, then don't get the Momentum, as it uses a custom 2.5mm locking plug on the headphone end.  By the same logic the DT1350 is out too (fixed cable).  The MDR-1R is the easiest for find and get replacement cables, with the M-100 follow slightly behind.  SQ wise the M-100 trumps the MDR-1R, but at the same time being $100 more.  I don't really use my M-100s outside, but I don't think anyone will mind their mil. spec. build quality.  Of course there are other options like the other Sennheisers or whatever, but not too many of them have detachable cables.  I think the V-MODA M-80 or the UE6000 is another option that you can explore.

Aug 23, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #5 of 8
Cool! Thank you, Momentums.

Given that I have Q701, Triple-Fi, HD25-II... which headphones do you think will provide a new listening experience, sound-signature wise? I think I can actually go up to $400 if that makes any difference ))

Aug 23, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #6 of 8
The M-100 seems like the best bet for you.  If you order from Amazon you can return in 30 days, and from V-MODA you have 60 days plus custom shields.  Their CoilPro Cable is out and it is a very good quality if you want something extra solid.

Aug 23, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #8 of 8
Either, you can call/online UPS for pick up, or just print the UPS label and drop it off at UPS, Staples, or Office Depot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back