Closed headphones < $300 with larger earcups than Aurvana for gaming and music?
Oct 17, 2013 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

TheUnknown

New Head-Fier
Just starting out here and been reading the various threads on the site.  I am looking for good closed headphones with good sound isolation that I can use with music and games (fps, rpg, basically all types).

I purchased the Creative Aurvanas and they sound great, but I guess my head and ears are too big as for me they are on the eat and not over the ear.

I would have loved to have gone with a Sennheiser PC 350, but its open and I need to use these in a quiet environment and to keep sound out.

Any recommendations on a good alternative under 300?

Thanks in advance.

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #2 of 9
If you haven't already, check out Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Guide for Video Games. Really good information on that thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-9-2-2013-sony-ma900-added

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 9
I did.  The vast majority of them are open headphones unfortunately.

A actually bought the Aurvanas based on that thread, but unfortunately the ear cup size is way too small for me.

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #5 of 9
LOL Bilson, I think you've had an exclamation mark in every one of your sentences here on Head-fi
biggrin.gif

I'd second the K550.  The ath a900x is another option.

Oct 18, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #7 of 9
  Just starting out here and been reading the various threads on the site.  I am looking for good closed headphones with good sound isolation that I can use with music and games (fps, rpg, basically all types).
I purchased the Creative Aurvanas and they sound great, but I guess my head and ears are too big as for me they are on the eat and not over the ear.
I would have loved to have gone with a Sennheiser PC 350, but its open and I need to use these in a quiet environment and to keep sound out.
Any recommendations on a good alternative under 300?

It would help to know the details of what your going to be plugging the headphones into?

AKG K550 (32-Ohm) or Audio Technica ATH-A900X (40-Ohm), both headphones would work better with a headphone amplifier with a very low output impedance.

Harman/AKG sell refurb K550 with a factory warranty, on eBay.
Bids can end as low as $140.

ATH-A900X has more warmth in it's sound.

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #8 of 9
It will be plugged into a Soundblaster Z, which has a built in head phone amplifier.

600 Ohm Amplified Headphone Output:        Maxim MAX97220A

Any experience with the AKG K550  for gaming? Decent soundstage for a closed HP for FPS games?

Also anyone ever tried the Sennheiser G350? If I was able to get away with the sound leakage of a G360, I would probably be buying those.  Not sure how similar the G350 is.

Oct 19, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #9 of 9
  It will be plugged into a Soundblaster Z, which has a built in head phone amplifier.

Any experience with the AKG K550  for gaming? Decent soundstage for a closed HP for FPS games?

Also anyone ever tried the Sennheiser G350? If I was able to get away with the sound leakage of a G360, I would probably be buying those.  Not sure how similar the G350 is.

The AKG k550 has great imaging! But the PSB M4U1 are even better to me! Both are great for gaming :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back