Closed headphone suggestions for tube amp
Jul 4, 2009 at 12:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Ampersand

100+ Head-Fier
I absolutely love the sound of the Grado RS-1s and MAD Ear+ tube amp. It really does well with my favorite genres - rock and female vocals. My only complaint is that it doesn't fare so well with new age or orchestral soundtracks. I also can't stand hearing the A/C unit running while listening to the Grados. Therefore...

I'm looking for a great pair of closed headphones that excel with new age / orchestral soundtracks. These will be connected to a MAD Ear+ HD tube amp. It must do well with tubes, as i'm happy with the MAD and have no desire to change, unless it's a move to a more recent MAD
icon10.gif

My budget is ~600, but i can be flexible for the right can. I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Jul 4, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #2 of 9
Well, since you like the Grados with the MAD, and they are very low impedance, I guess the MAD (with which I am not familiar) must be OK with low impedance headphones. If so, then you have a lot of nice options - the Kenwood K1000 is nice ($350), as is the Denon D5000. Normally I suggest high-impedance cans for OTL tube amps, and that would lead to the Beyer DT770 - 600 ohm version. I like all of those headphones.

Jul 4, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can try the GMP 240/250. AKG-271 can be a nice option too, or just some Ultrasones if you are more into the bass sound.

I just finished reading your post about the GMP's. I hadn't heard of them before. Time for a little research, i guess.

Jul 4, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, since you like the Grados with the MAD, and they are very low impedance, I guess the MAD (with which I am not familiar) must be OK with low impedance headphones. If so, then you have a lot of nice options - the Kenwood K1000 is nice ($350), as is the Denon D5000. Normally I suggest high-impedance cans for OTL tube amps, and that would lead to the Beyer DT770 - 600 ohm version. I like all of those headphones.

From what i've heard, the MAD was voiced using the Senn HD600s but ended up sounding spectacular with Grados.

I've read many posts about the Denon's. They are definitely on my list for consideration. But the 1/8" connector really disappoints me.

The Beyer's seem to get mixed reviews and seem to get lost in the shuffle. I like the look of the dt-880. Do you prefer the 770 over it? If so, why?

Jul 4, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #7 of 9
Both are very good, but since you asked for closed, that means the 770. The 880 is an open can (Beyer calls it "semi-open", but that's silliness - it's open).

Jul 4, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both are very good, but since you asked for closed, that means the 770. The 880 is an open can (Beyer calls it "semi-open", but that's silliness - it's open).

Ahh, i see.

Jul 4, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
W5000 fares well with orchestral music.

I love the look of these. Anyone have a link describing their sound signature? Or experience with these and tubes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back