Closed Headphone Suggestion
Jan 12, 2008 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

raelamb

100+ Head-Fier
Help! Ok, here's the facts. My portable rig is the ipod classic with ALAC files, Ray Samuel's tomahawk and most of the times, my RS-1's. This combo blows me away! But when it rains in NYC I don't want to get my Woodies wet and I use a pair of the Audio Technica ATH-M50's. Now don't get me wrong, they sound really good but they're just not in the Grado league. Now if I want to step up to a $500 closed phone, what would you all suggest? They must be fairly low impedance like my current phones cause Rock n' Roll was meant to be played loud. Thanks for any input
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #2 of 13
Beyer 250-80, or the 770. They aren't any where near your price cap. But they are very good cans. I really like the AKG 271S. It's a great can, I personally wouldn't wear it in the rain.

Jan 12, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #4 of 13
500 bucks is a lot for a pair of cans you are gonna wear in the rain... DT770/80 is good choice here, me thinks. If you want something more portable Senn HD25-1 is a very good choice.

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #5 of 13
I'm not gonna literally "wear" them in the rain. I will have an umbrella of course. I just get paranoid wearing the RS-1's when it's moist out. Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'm concerned about the Beyer 770's cause it says the impedance is 250 and they're hard to drive. I see they have the770M's rated at 80 impedance but I'm scared of the noise that may be induced by the volume control. Any other thoughts? Thx.

Jan 12, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't recommend anything above 40 ohms for portable use... period.

FYI, the KSC35/75 and portapro's are all 60ohms....period. And they kick ass ampless...exclamation!
rolleyes.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't recommend anything above 40 ohms for portable use... period.

I've used 300 ohms quite nicely out of an mp3 player. AKA HD600 =]

To the OP, look into ATH-ESW9. They are actually meant to be portable, and share some sound characteristics with RS-1 (not all, different house sound, but they
work well with rock, very well).
Other options would include the already mentioned DT770/Darths, but they are not much like your RS-1s, and have pretty high impedance (80+, depending on the version). Not much else is worth mentioning for portable use, with D5000 I'd be afraid of anything, not just the rain.

Jan 12, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #9 of 13
Thank you MaloS! I went to Audio Cubes and got a pair of the ATH-ESW9's an had an extremely nice subway ride home. 2 street musicians were playing guitar and accordion 5 feet away and I could't hear them at all and I suspect they couldn't hear me. At the store I compared them to my ATH-M50's and found them much less "tubby" and far more musical. I then compared them to my RS-1's and so did the store manager and of course....what would you expect
frown.gif
They will be perfect for inclement New York days however. Thanks for the recommendation.

Jan 12, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #10 of 13
Hah, didn't think you lived in New York and could go check things out that quickly...

Enjoy.

Jan 12, 2008 at 10:50 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by raelamb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you MaloS! I went to Audio Cubes and got a pair of the ATH-ESW9's an had an extremely nice subway ride home. 2 street musicians were playing guitar and accordion 5 feet away and I could't hear them at all and I suspect they couldn't hear me. At the store I compared them to my ATH-M50's and found them much less "tubby" and far more musical. I then compared them to my RS-1's and so did the store manager and of course....what would you expect
frown.gif
They will be perfect for inclement New York days however. Thanks for the recommendation.

I think I'd have been listening to the street musicians
confused.gif

Jan 13, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #12 of 13
I was listening to Procol Harum's "Broken Barricades" on my Ipod. Far better than the out of tune Mexican folk song the street musicians were playing
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #13 of 13
Ah, fair point well made. I agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back