Closed Headphone shootout.. which should I buy?
Oct 27, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #16 of 27
You should reconsider the ES7s. They do have good isolation, leak virtually no sound, look gorgeous, are good with rock, and are very portable.

Oct 27, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexinExile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should reconsider the ES7s. They do have good isolation, leak virtually no sound, look gorgeous, are good with rock, and are very portable.

Although i do agree with the es7s leaking no sound, look great etc. They do NOT have good isolation ie. they don't let sound out, but they definitely let sound in. I remember using it on a plane once and had to crank up the volume just to hear my music properly let alone drown out the plane's engine drone. Heck, even on the bus it can get quite annoying.

Oct 28, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by chews89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although i do agree with the es7s leaking no sound, look great etc. They do NOT have good isolation ie. they don't let sound out, but they definitely let sound in. I remember using it on a plane once and had to crank up the volume just to hear my music properly let alone drown out the plane's engine drone. Heck, even on the bus it can get quite annoying.

Hmmm. I use mine at school all the time and never have problems with the noise levels; however I have not used them on a plane so I am unable to comment on this.

Oct 28, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #20 of 27
Glad you scrapped the D1001s early. It's not just the isolation issue, it's the bulkiness of the damn things too. Not foldable at all.

Also, the majority report seems to be that the ES7s aren't very isolating, though there are obviously some dissenters. All things considered, probably wise that these are off the list.

The Q40s might be the way to go. Then again, you mentioned considering IEMs, which complicates matters a little. Though if you don't wear glasses, I think the HD25s are a no-brainer. I'm kind of disappointed that they hurt us four eyed ones.
frown.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT250 isolates nearly the same as the HD25 and sounds better. It doesn't sit around the neck easily, and is not as sensitive as an HD25, though.

Yeah it is between the DT250, H25, or a pair of IEMs. If I went the IEM route, then I pick up a pair of portable open air headphones, most likely grado.

Oct 28, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #22 of 27
I've decided to get a pair of IEMs and a pair of open headphones. Most likely going to get ~$80 IEMs and then pick up a set of Grados in the ~$150 range.

Do you think Audio-Technica ANC headphones will sound better than IEMs?

Oct 28, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #23 of 27
I had the E2c's and they broke after 2 years. They were around $70-$80 when I bought them, and I can tell you I'd much rather be listening to HD 280s (which I just picked up last night to finally replace my E2c's). I got the HD 280's for $90, and they've been burning in gradually. I can't really say that the sound is fantastic, but for the money I think it's a good deal.

Oct 29, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #24 of 27
Where's duggeh when you want a really good rant about the HD280s?

On the Grados for ~$150, why not Alessandro MS-1 for $99? Also, why are you getting open ones, again? You have AD-700s for home, right?

On the IEMs for ~$80, I was gonna recommend Denon C551s, but they're not very isolating... They work well for me on the streets, blocking out enough traffic noise to allow me to enjoy music and to be a hazard, probably. But I dunno about planes and such. Also, the tips are not fantastic. Gotta get me some Complys at some point. $80 IEMs for rock...hmm...

Oct 29, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #26 of 27
I'm also looking for a full-sized set of headphones for use on a plane. Which models offer the best noise isolation? I really don't want to get into the active noise-cancellation thing. I'm sorry if I hijacked, and if I'm bringing up some non-sensical points. First time poster. Thanks in advance for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back