Closed Headphone Recommendations
Oct 23, 2002 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

stubby

New Head-Fier
Hello all,
I'am looking for recommendations for a set of closed Headphones for late night listening. So far I'm considering the Beyer DT-831's but would like to hear any opinions or recommendations toward these or other models. My current phones are Senn HD-600's and Grado SR80's and I'm using
a Headroom Little for an amp.

cool.gif

TIA
Eric

Oct 23, 2002 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 23
What kind of sound are you looking for? Are you particularly happy with your HD 600's and/or Grado's? I'm somewhat noobish, so I can't do much but recycle what I've heard here. Though, you may wait for the new Beyer 880's, there's a thread about the new Beyer's lurking around here somewhere...

Oct 23, 2002 at 1:49 AM Post #3 of 23
I don't have a particular sound I'm going for other than I don't want anything that sounds "Boomy" I like the sound of my Senn's and Grados but I wouldnt object to something different as long as they are clear with good imaging and not bass heavy.
Thanx for the reply

Eric

Oct 23, 2002 at 6:03 AM Post #4 of 23
I used to own the DT831 because although they were definitely good at some things (excellent horns, for example), they were too bright, thin and bass-shy for me and were fatiguing.

The new DT880 should be semi-open like the DT931 is so that's not really an option for you.

I'm currently using the Ultrasone HFI-650 which I like quite a bit. Second to that option, I would go with the Beyerdynamic DT250-80 and third (if you're strapped for cash) would be the Sony MDR-V6. Most of the other closed headphones aren't very worthwhile in my view.

Oct 23, 2002 at 11:45 AM Post #6 of 23
You might like the Senn HD280, who knows.

Oct 23, 2002 at 12:31 PM Post #7 of 23
I'll put my vote in for the 280's. I don't have any experience with the other closed phones mentioned here but I do love my 280's. I don't seem to have the same problems as some. I find them extremely comfortable and I don't find them bass shy in the least, just not boomy. Be aware that there is a significant break-in period with them. Some say 40 hrs but I found mine really came into their own after about 100. Also remember that they are a monitor so they aren't very forgiving. Bad recordings will sound bad and bad equipment will sound bad. But with decent source, amp and music they sound wonderful to me.

Oct 23, 2002 at 4:06 PM Post #8 of 23
The 280's are like the beyer 250-80's but with less impactfull bass and less recessed highs..

Biggie.

Oct 23, 2002 at 4:10 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Guyferd
Kelly, you forgot to mention the Dt770pro and W100..
WHo knows he might like the bass in dt770pro(like I do
biggrin.gif
) and the w100 has very good soundstage...

No, I didn't.

He specifically mentioned being disinterested in excessive bass (DT770) and I think the W100 is simply overrated and overpriced.

Oct 23, 2002 at 9:22 PM Post #10 of 23
Thanks for all the replys so far folks. Where can I get a glimpse of the Ultrasone HFI-650's that Kelly mentioned earlier. So far I'm leaning toward the Beyer line up for no other reason than they would be a new name to add to my quiver of phones. Also because Beyer seems to have a long history of making sealed phones so I imagine they know their stuff. I certainly don't plan on these being my last pair either. I would love to give the Ety's more consideration but for the whole ten minutes or so that I got to try them during the World of Headphones tour I wasn't real thrilled with the way they fit. But as I said I didn't get much time with them or get to try all the foampiece options. If anyone knows of any good stereo shops in the Philly area that carry these top brands where I could give a listen I'd be glad to hear about them as well. Thanks again!

Oct 23, 2002 at 9:31 PM Post #11 of 23
I'd listen to the beyers first. Like kelly, I found them bright, fatuiging, and bass-light. Not for me!
eek.gif

About the etymotics. . . I've found that once people spend some time with them, they get a better seal and like them better. Heck, this situation is what headroom's return policy is for, right?

Oct 23, 2002 at 9:35 PM Post #12 of 23
Both the Ultrasone and Beyerdynamics can be found on www.meier-audio.com .

andrze
I think he's referring to the DT250-80 now, which has the opposite flaws of the DT831.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2002 at 9:53 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

I think he's referring to the DT250-80 now, which has the opposite flaws of the DT831.

hmm, thanks. Not sure what he's referring too, lol.

So, kelly, how do you like the Ultrasone? Is there a review coming?

Oct 23, 2002 at 9:57 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
hmm, thanks. Not sure what he's referring too, lol.

So, kelly, how do you like the Ultrasone? Is there a review coming?

andrze
I'm not sure whether I should post a review or not since I don't have a DT250-80 available for AB and I'm not even sure if I've heard the HD280. I made some notes of an AB comparison with the Sony MDR-7506 (aka V6) and intended to post those but I guess I need to have it scanned for spelling errors and such as that seems to be important to people these days.

Oct 24, 2002 at 1:17 AM Post #15 of 23
I just received a pair of HFI-650s today that I bought used. I just plugged them in. They sound pretty good except for the fact that the bass is completely missing. Actually I can hear a little bit of bass, but it has zero impact. I'm very disappointed. These are almost brand new...does the bass come in after you burn them in or something? Maybe they are designed to be used with bass boost. The high end makes Grado SR80s sound mellow. Does the high end tame down with burn-in? I have a feeling these will be for sale very soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back