Closed headphone recommendation for the office
Apr 5, 2017 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Bkido

100+ Head-Fier
Hey you guys,

I listen to a lot of music when I work at the office. I started with some Sennheiser IE80 and then got a good deal for some Noble 6 IEMs that are now run by a Chord Mojo and mostly fed with Spotify/Tidal (Hifi/Master). Unfortunately after one year of use, one of my Noble 6 IEMs broke down and they are currently on the way back to Noble in the US for repair/replacement.

All this also got my thinking if it would also be nice to have some full sized headphones at the office because a whole day with IEMs is not the most comfortable solution. Because I'm not always alone in my office I think it would have to be a closed headphone. My budget would be around 500-1000 CHF (around about the same in USD - I'm from Switzerland). 

Now my question is what you could recommend for my needs. I hear a lot of electronic music (mostly Techno) but also enjoy classical music. Depends on what I'm working on :). I like in general a warmer sounding head/earphone and would love to find something with a strong low end. 

At the moment I think the Audioquest Nightowl, Fostex TH-610 and Fostex TH-x00 look interesting but I wanted to hear from you guys what could be a good fit for me. Thank you.

Apr 6, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #2 of 11
Yay the topic finally got posted. So I'm open for your opinions and recommendations :)

Apr 6, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #3 of 11
What about the Beyers DT1770?

Enviado desde mi H1

Apr 6, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #4 of 11
Dt1770 is very strong on electronical music, very immersive. And really good isolation (clamping is strong ...)

Th x00 has bad isolation and well the wood cups is not discret

Can't say fot classic

Apr 6, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 11
And well a collegue have an akg nc60, i find it really good for work : easy to drive, good passive isolation, not agressive sound signature and active noise cancelling if needed

Apr 6, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #7 of 11
I think I'll have a closer look at the DT 1770 Pros. I never really considered Beyerdynamics because of the harsh treble they were known for and i didn't know that they released new headphones. But from what i read this seems to be not so much of a problem anymore with the DT 1770. And the rest concerning sound signature, built quality and isolation they seem to fit my needs pretty well.

Also here in Switzerland i could get them for about 480 USD incl. taxes which I think is a pretty good deal compared to what they cost in the States. 

Do you think i should give them a try?

Apr 6, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #8 of 11
I think I'll have a closer look at the DT 1770 Pros. I never really considered Beyerdynamics because of the harsh treble they were known for and i didn't know that they released new headphones. But from what i read this seems to be not so much of a problem anymore with the DT 1770. And the rest concerning sound signature, built quality and isolation they seem to fit my needs pretty well.

Also here in Switzerland i could get them for about 480 USD incl. taxes which I think is a pretty good deal compared to what they cost in the States. 

Do you think i should give them a try?

They still have hot treble. They are better than the past Beyers, but there is still some sizzle. I strongly recommend you look into the Denon 7200. You can buy it from Audio Sanctuary (based in the U.K.) for less than $600 US and around $550 British Pound.

https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/?subcats=Y&pcode_from_q=Y&pshort=N&pfull=N&pname=Y&pkeywords=Y&search_performed=Y&match=all&q=Denon+7200&dispatch=products.search

Apr 6, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #9 of 11
  Hey you guys,

I listen to a lot of music when I work at the office. I started with some Sennheiser IE80 and then got a good deal for some Noble 6 IEMs that are now run by a Chord Mojo and mostly fed with Spotify/Tidal (Hifi/Master). Unfortunately after one year of use, one of my Noble 6 IEMs broke down and they are currently on the way back to Noble in the US for repair/replacement.

All this also got my thinking if it would also be nice to have some full sized headphones at the office because a whole day with IEMs is not the most comfortable solution. Because I'm not always alone in my office I think it would have to be a closed headphone. My budget would be around 500-1000 CHF (around about the same in USD - I'm from Switzerland). 

Now my question is what you could recommend for my needs. I hear a lot of electronic music (mostly Techno) but also enjoy classical music. Depends on what I'm working on :). I like in general a warmer sounding head/earphone and would love to find something with a strong low end. 

At the moment I think the Audioquest Nightowl, Fostex TH-610 and Fostex TH-x00 look interesting but I wanted to hear from you guys what could be a good fit for me. Thank you.

Focal Spirit Classic (which is being replaced by the new line) is on a ridiculouly low price on Amazon right now. Might want to check that one out.

Apr 7, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #10 of 11
  I think the B&W P7 or P9 (if you want to stretch your budget) would suit your interests and needs quite well.

I had a look at these but I think the P7 are a little bit too small for my ears and the P9 are not fully closed so I think not optimal for office use - and also quite pricey.

Apr 7, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #11 of 11
Hey guys, thanks for your input so far. 

I decided now to give the Beyerdynamic DT-1770 Pro a try. My dealer here only had one in stock left for 489CHF. I should receive them next week and will let you know how I like them. I also looked at all the other headphones you recommended - so thank you for that - but the 1770 ticked the most boxes for me in what I need (Size and Comfort, Bass, Isolation, Price). The Denon 7200 could have been interesting too but here in Switzerland they are at 899CHF almost twice the price. That's why I thought I give the 1770 a try first and if I really don't like them I can still return them and step up in price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back