Closed headphone or IEM for home use
May 25, 2006 at 2:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dk123

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to upgrade from the Westone UM2 mainly for use at home. E500 is the obvious answer, but I'm sort of curious to try a closed headphone. My listening is mainly classical, classic rock, various other genres--mainly accoustic music. I'm looking for something kind of laid back to complement the DT880 that I have, particularly for night time listening. I will be amping with the m^3, but something easy to drive would be good. I have been thinking some about trying one of the AudioTechnica line. Is it worth the premium over the a900 to try the w1000? Or would I be better off trying to find a w100 in terms of the sound signature I am looking for? What other options are there? Would the AKG k271 or the Beyer DT250-80 make more sense? I'm curious about the AudioTechnicas, but maybe they aren't suited for my purposes? I would like to keep this under $500. Thanks for any advice.

May 25, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #2 of 8
I have only heard one real option, the K271S.
I'm posting anyway because I think it'd be a good companion for the DT880. My biggest issue with the Beyer is that it's unforgiving and the K271S rarely fails to make my worst recordings listenable. If you have a really large head or ears that stick out a lot, the AKGs might not be comfortable though. It's not easy to drive either (low sensitivity).

May 25, 2006 at 4:16 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by HFat
My biggest issue with the Beyer is that it's unforgiving and the K271S rarely fails to make my worst recordings listenable.

I am really confused with forgiving headphones.
confused.gif

I know when I bought A500 and using them with direct out of SB live. While listening a bed recorded MP3 song I felt at first 15 second that there is some slight distortion with that song but was not much noticable. When I bought A900LTD's and plug them with direct SB live with same song then they became slightly more noticable. After some time when I bought Zhaolu DAC and paired them with A900LTD's then ...UH... There was a different song track mixed with that one and sounds like you are hearing your neighbours systems song while listening your's.
icon10.gif

Isn't it more forgiving ==>> less clearity.

May 25, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by manchau
Isn't it more forgiving ==>> less clearity.

It's hard to say because the words probably mean different things to us but I don't think there is such a direct relationship.
I can't explain exactly what makes a headphone unforgiving. Sure, resolution plays a role but the DT880 is also clearly brighter and flatter than the K271S (upper bass or lower mids hump, rolled off highs) and it has that somewhat metallic sound as well... the rest of the chain is also important obviously: I've go a DAP that makes the DT880 sound a good bit more musical than my soundcard for example.

May 25, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #5 of 8
Interesting questions.

I have been using my Etymotic ER-4S' around the house, mostly with my portable source. But, by the time that I get home today, I should have a pair of W5000's waiting for me (thanks Benny). I am getting these with the direct purpose of home use (which is different than the listening area in the garage where all the open phones live).

I am setting up a listening area in my living room with my Linn LP12 to enjoy my vinyl collection (classical, jazz, 70s prog, etc.). I probably will be pushing these with the ASL MkIII or the McCormack. I wanted a pair of closed headphones to have a little isolation and not to be too loud for everyone else. Now, the Ety's do this very well (30+db isolation), almost too well. But unless you have perfect ear shape, it is hard to go hours and hours with them. I cannot speak to the Shure's.

Other than there being others in the house, why would you need to limit yourself to closed?

May 25, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by HFat
It's hard to say because the words probably mean different things to us but I don't think there is such a direct relationship.
I can't explain exactly what makes a headphone unforgiving. Sure, resolution plays a role but the DT880 is also clearly brighter and flatter than the K271S (upper bass or lower mids hump, rolled off highs) and it has that somewhat metallic sound as well... the rest of the chain is also important obviously: I've go a DAP that makes the DT880 sound a good bit more musical than my soundcard for example.

Instrument seperation is different thing rather then flat, highs, lows signature IMO. And this transparency cause them to be unforgiving.

BTW... I think K271S would show no mercy if you feed them better source.

May 26, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #8 of 8
I guess what it really comes down to is whether there is a closed sub $400-500 headphone that outpreforms the Shure e500. If not, I would just get the Shures. Maybe I can arrange to demo some e500s before I buy them, since I live very close to Shure's headquarters. Has anyone done that before?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back