closed headphone - hd280pro
Mar 15, 2012 at 6:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

spector

New Head-Fier
Hi evryone,

i was using a pair of h280pro as closed headphone for at least 5 years...

Unfortunaly a couple of days ago they got broken: the inner cable got cutted i don't know how...

This was not the first problem i had with these headphone: also the arch got broken a couple of years ago but i was able to fix it somehow.

Actually i'm working on repairing them but i'm also looking for an alternative to buy.

I need a pair of closed headphone to use with my iAudio 7 while I travel or  walk in the city  (a very noisy envoirement) so i appreciate a lot the isolation capacity of the 280.

What i'm looking for actually is a pair of closed heaphone, with good sound and good isolation from external noise, they should be quite easy to bring around and bluky to resist to more or less everything.

The 280 were almost perfect for this but i'm wondering if there is something better.

I was thinking about sennheiser hd 380 pro or beryerdynamic dt770.

Do you have some suggestion?

Mar 15, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #3 of 7
From my own experience, you would not like the Beyerdynamic DT770, solely because of how hard it is to use portably.  It doesn't fold up at all, and the ear cups don't swivel.  This means you can't even wear it around your neck comfortably. Otherwise, they are excellent headphones with an emphasis on treble and bass, and lots of isolation, around the same as my old HD280 Pro.

The HD25-II is a supraaural headphone (goes on top of your ears rather than around them) so you might not like them for comfort.  They also won't isolate quite as much as a full-sized headphone.

The HD380 Pro takes the HD280 and improves comfort and sound quality a fair amount, at least from all the reviews I had read.  But that might not be worth over double the price you paid for your HD280, the HD380 sells for $200 on amazon.com, while I bought my HD280 for only $80.

Sennheiser also has the 4X9 series headphones, which replaced the decent 4X8 series with updated looks.  All are closed headphones.

Might be worth looking into headphones by Shure and Ultrasone, as they have many closed headphones to choose from, many of which are pretty well-received.  Shure has the SRH440 and SRH880, while Ultrasone has their HFi and Pro lines of closed headphones.

TL:DR

DT770:  Not for you
HD25-II:  Depends
HD380:  Too expensive for what you get

Look at Ultrasone, Shure, Sennheiser 4X9 series.

Mar 15, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #5 of 7
HD25-1

Slightly less isolating than HD280pro, doesn't clamp as hard, more rugged and compact, and it favors mid/upper bass and lower mids more than HD280.  More congested in the treble but it layers sound far, far better than HD280.  Sharper imaging, too.  HD4x9/4x8 may not isolate as well as HD25 and HD280.  I'm loving HD280 lately and am tweaking the rear chamber with acoustic foam to drastically improve on its soundstage.  I've managed to de-congest the stock sound.  =D

Mar 15, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #6 of 7
I would suggest the HD 25's but I would also take a look at the Ultrasone HFI-780's. They isolate very well and look sharp as well. They do clamp pretty tightly but so do the 280's. You can stretch them out over a box for a night and that will loosen them up pretty well. The 780's are very portable and are easily folded up nice and tight.

Mar 16, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #7 of 7
You might also look into the Sony MDR-V6, they fold up nicely. I have both the HD280 and these. The only reason that I have the 280s is that the earpads on the Sony finally gave up the ghost. (Though, I did find some replacement pads last fall).

Tom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back