Closed Headphone for Outdoor Use
Oct 25, 2016 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Ira Delphic

1000+ Head-Fier
I've done lots of looking and haven't found my ideal closed headphone for outdoor use. Features needed:

-Balanced sound - I'm not a bass head
-Very Good resolution and detail, sparkly treble
-Robust build
-Removable, non-proprietary cable
-Cable supports mic, and Android controls - at least one button. Volume control is a plus.
-Full soft cushion pads that can be worn comfortably with glasses
 I want to spend under $200. I'm not sure how much they'll be used.

The V-Moda M100 is the close to what I'm looking for, but tried and not so comfortable. Also the Donscorpio Dolphin which I own  - love the sound - but too delicate for outdoor use. DT 770 Pro 80  and other DT 770 but don't need that much bass. Suggestions?

DAP - LG V10 so can push higher Ohm/less sensitive gear.

Oct 25, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 15
Hi
From what you've described as your requirements from the sound, I would suggest giving a listen to the audio technica M50x. I have the original M50s and damm they are good. Highly durable (I have thrown them around plenty), the sound quality for the price range is great, especially if your not a bass head. I got em for $99 on Boxing Day lol. Hope that helps

Oct 25, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #3 of 15
Hi
From what you've described as your requirements from the sound, I would suggest giving a listen to the audio technica M50x. I have the original M50s and damm they are good. Highly durable (I have thrown them around plenty), the sound quality for the price range is great, especially if your not a bass head. I got em for $99 on Boxing Day lol. Hope that helps

Good suggestion and the cable is removable. Do you use them outside, walking around?

Oct 25, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #4 of 15
I have the m50s with coiled cable and walking around with those can be difficult for two reasons:
1) the cable is too long to wrap it and walk around comfortably. Have to keep readjust far too often and prevents one from enjoying the music uninterruptedly
2) the headphones tend to slip from my head when I walk, I haven't had this issue with my pm3s. But for walking purposes only I have decided to get iems now.

These are however, without a doubt one of the best bang of buck one can get. I however, can't get myself to recommend them if you're planning on using them for walking more than 20% of actual use time.
For walking purposes I found these two wireless headphones to be the best:
1) bose soundlink 2 - was amazing for noise isolation and comfort. Ridiculous comfort and very light
2) sennheiser momentum 2 - I got the ivory ones and damm those babies are nice. The sound quality was a definite upgrade over the nose and they looked exceptionally stylish. Ps these are expensive but most stores are able to sell them for a low price if you ask the salesperson. I was able to get them for $428 when they were retailing at 549 lol. The store rep told me that was the lowest price they could sell it at and he gave it to me. Real cool dude.
Anyways I hope that helps
Jetinder

Oct 26, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #5 of 15
  I've done lots of looking and haven't found my ideal closed headphone for outdoor use. Features needed:

-Robust build
-Cable supports mic, and Android controls - at least one button. Volume control is a plus.

The V-Moda M100 is the close to what I'm looking for, but tried and not so comfortable. Also the Donscorpio Dolphin which I own  - love the sound - but too delicate for outdoor use. DT 770 Pro 80  and other DT 770 but don't need that much bass. Suggestions?

Maybe try Panasonic RP-HD10. The resolution is very good. Sparkly treble.

But you may not like the mid.

Oct 26, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #6 of 15

-Robust build

Maybe try Panasonic RP-HD10. The resolution is very good. Sparkly treble.

But you may not like the mid.

That looks really good! Is $200 a good price?

Oct 27, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #9 of 15

Good suggestion and the cable is removable. Do you use them outside, walking around?

Using a closed circumaural(around the ear) headphone while walking around outdoors can be very dangerous, especially if you are walking across traffic intersections. I suggest that you use something open instead, and keep the volume low.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/775939/unsafe-use-of-isolating-earphones-or-headphones#post_11867022

Oct 28, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #10 of 15

Using a closed circumaural(around the ear) headphone while walking around outdoors can be very dangerous, especially if you are walking across traffic intersections. I suggest that you use something open instead, and keep the volume low.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/775939/unsafe-use-of-isolating-earphones-or-headphones#post_11867022

That is excellent advice and I agree that most people shouldn't wear closed headphones when outdoors. For example people walking around with Beats listening at ear piercing volume is a disaster waiting to happen. I've been next to such folks with the volume so high that the music can be heard clearly from the other side of a subway car in motion! Many use high volume to override outside ambient sounds. If the headphone is closed or open, or IEM, it doesn't matter. 

I listen to music at low volume. I look for quality and not volume. At these lower volumes with closed cans I can still hear what is going on around me. I have a very nice pair of AKG clones - huge monitoring headphones - that have a tight seal, and at low volumes I can still hear what's going on around me. Unfortunately they are so tight that they don't work with sunglasses or distance glasses that I need to wear.

Again, good that you bring up this point. Open ear won't work for my needs.

Oct 28, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #11 of 15
Even at low volumes though, using a closed headphone or IEMs while walking around, especially through traffic intersections is very dangerous. I use open earphones with ear hooks when walking around. I keep the volume low.

Oct 28, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #12 of 15
  Even at low volumes though, using a closed headphone or IEMs while walking around, especially through traffic intersections is very dangerous. I use open earphones with ear hooks when walking around. I keep the volume low.

I use IEM's every day at low volumes during my urban commute by foot, LG Quadbeats, which with the stock silicon don't have the best seal.
They are not dangerous to wear at low volumes. I can still hear cars, people, dogs barking, planes, helicopters, construction sounds, etc and also music, pretty much. I mostly listen to earbuds but they let in way to much sound for outdoors. 

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #15 of 15
  The 1More MK801 is looking pretty good. Has everything I want and is water resistant as well. Android controls, over ears. Also inexpensive. 

Update 1/25/2017:
I've been using the 1MORE MK801 since November of 2016, paid $52 including shipping from a seller in China. At first I was underwhelmed with the sound, but due to burn in - mental or physical, they are really growing on me! I use them outdoors, and prefer over ear to IEM's. The 1more's are technically over ear - just barely, but more importantly, are comfortable to wear with glasses. They share the same problem with V-Moda XS and other headphones, wind ruins the SQ. There are enough edges and sharp angles in the construction to catch the wind which transfers the sound to the earcups. On those days IEM's are best. So would I recommend the MK801? I think for the price you can't go wrong ($65) and are very good for outdoor aerobic activities. And the controls with my Android phone - LG v10 - work great!

As I mentioned before, I listen at lowish volumes. Listening to over ear headphones at high volumes is not recommended for safety reasons as @JK1 pointed out. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back