Closed Headphone for Gaming/Music under 100?
Feb 9, 2017 at 12:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Siegfried262

New Head-Fier
Budget: $85 or so.

Source: PC, powered by Onkyo AVR

Isolation: I'd like some isolation. Doesn't have to be total but tones down the ambient noise.

Preferred type: Full size/over ear.

Tonal balance: I tend to lean towards balanced/neutral but something a little more fun wouldn't be unwelcome.

Past headphones: HD 598s (loved them), HD600 (a bit bass light and had a small sounding soundstage but amazing mids and tonality), DT770s (recessed mids but amazing bass and good soundstage for closed. Wasn't bothered by the bright treble.)

Currently using: Audio Technica AD700s. Really airy, open sounding headphones with an amazing soundstage. Zero bass though.

I'm just looking for a budget/entry level priced pair of closed headphones for gaming and music. I listen to a lot of 80s hits, classic rock, synthwave/Outrun, and power metal.

I've been looking at a lot of options and I really like what I've read about the ISK HD9999 but I wanted to make sure there wasn't anything I missed. Any recommendations very much appreciated, thank you.

Feb 9, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #2 of 4
  Budget: $85 or so.

Source: PC, powered by Onkyo AVR

Isolation: I'd like some isolation. Doesn't have to be total but tones down the ambient noise.

Preferred type: Full size/over ear.

Tonal balance: I tend to lean towards balanced/neutral but something a little more fun wouldn't be unwelcome.

Past headphones: HD 598s (loved them), HD600 (a bit bass light and had a small sounding soundstage but amazing mids and tonality), DT770s (recessed mids but amazing bass and good soundstage for closed. Wasn't bothered by the bright treble.)

Currently using: Audio Technica AD700s. Really airy, open sounding headphones with an amazing soundstage. Zero bass though.

I'm just looking for a budget/entry level priced pair of closed headphones for gaming and music. I listen to a lot of 80s hits, classic rock, synthwave/Outrun, and power metal.

I've been looking at a lot of options and I really like what I've read about the ISK HD9999 but I wanted to make sure there wasn't anything I missed. Any recommendations very much appreciated, thank you.

I haven't heard the ISK but it is a respected brand. In your price range I really like the Kingston Hyper X Cloud (otherwise known as the Takstar Pro 80 and the Gemini HSR-1000). It is quite neutral, it images well, and it has generally speaking been durable with a few rare exceptions. 

Feb 9, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #3 of 4
  I haven't heard the ISK but it is a respected brand. In your price range I really like the Kingston Hyper X Cloud (otherwise known as the Takstar Pro 80 and the Gemini HSR-1000). It is quite neutral, it images well, and it has generally speaking been durable with a few rare exceptions. 

That looks pretty good, I'll definitely check that out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back