Closed headphone as companion to 7xx?
May 8, 2016 at 1:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

nottheface

Head-Fier
I looking to get a closed headphone to use at work for when the ambient noise gets too loud or I just want to shut out the world. I currently use an AKG 7xx paired with a Grace Design m9xx. I mostly listen to jazz (both instrumental and vocal), classic rock, blues and classical.

I like the way the 7xx sounds and am looking for something that will sound as good. Not a bass head at all, but like a slightly warm tone. At home I use a 800s (also paired with a m9xx) but no way am I leaving that at the office. Or trying to explain to my wife why I need a second pair.

I have an ATH m50 that I got when I was first starting with headphones. I like them slightly more than my Sony 7506 but the limited soundstage bothers me after a while.

I'm looking at the AKG 553 because evidently I just buy whatever massdrop sells. Would like to stay under $200, but Have some flexibility.

May 8, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #2 of 13
Seriously recommend the Yamaha HPH-MT220 as pretty much a better M50X. Isolation and comfort should be great, you can swing a pair for ~$220 now. Soundstage isn't crazy wide as they are still technically monitors but a LOT better than the often claustrophobic M50X.

May 8, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #3 of 13
A bit warmer and darker, but I ended up with the NAD HP50 as my closed headphone alternative to the K7XX. But is more than your budget. Maybe you can find a good deal on a used pair through the trade forums here?

In fact, if you want same level of SQ for your closed pair, expect that they should cost more than $200. I don't think people realize how really good a deal the K7XX is at that price.

May 8, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #4 of 13
You might also check out the SoundMAGIC HP150, a largely neutral can that is an excellent value at its price point. Also thinking about a used M2 for you--that could potentially work, if the price is right.

May 8, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #5 of 13
You might also check out the SoundMAGIC HP150, a largely neutral can that is an excellent value at its price point. Also thinking about a used M2 for you--that could potentially work, if the price is right.

Sorry if hijacking a comment is not allowed, but did you have heard the AKG K550? If so, could you compare the HP150 against it?

May 8, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #6 of 13
I have found pretty good balance with using Fostex style closed back. The later Massdrop offering would be of value.

The AH-D 7000 by Denon seem to be the perfect partner for the AKGs due to both headphones offering similar sound stages but the Denon offering a better rock playback, and AKG offering better classical.

Cheers!

For under $200 check out the D2000.

May 8, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #7 of 13
We
I have found pretty good balance with using Fostex style closed back. The later Massdrop offering would be of value.

The AH-D 7000 by Denon seem to be the perfect partner for the AKGs due to both headphones offering similar sound stages but the Denon offering a better rock playback, and AMG offering better classical.

Cheers!

For under $200 check out the D2000.

Which later massdrop?

May 8, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #8 of 13
DT150 if you are not self conscious and are using an amp

May 8, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #9 of 13
Which later massdrop?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/788776/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-review

For his price range maybe getting used, they have built the Fostex x00 twice so far and are in the process of making the Purpleheart offering ATM.

Maybe finding a used pair on the used forums later? Still even finding a pair of D5000s would work in adding a soundstage to the mix in line with the AKGs.

I have had the same soundstage issues with the ATH- M 50s, but still like their character. One thing I did was take the pads off the M50s and replace then by putting the Sennheiser HD439 pads with spacers to make the M50 open front headphones. The issue with the M50s is they were made for concentrated factors of keeping outside sound out in the studio. Once the front is semi-open it increases the soundstage 2x.

Still even the Fostex line are not going to be perfect with keeping outside sound out. They do a pretty good job, but even as far as keeping their own sound in, my Wife complains about them if I wear them in bed next to her.

May 8, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #10 of 13
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-purpleheart-headphones

Having the original Austria k701, AHD-7000 and M50 have left me pretty content over the years.
The easy solution here is just getting cloth pads for the M-50s and seeing after if the soundstage is changed. I have not tried any velour pads, except HD439 with them, but people love them after a pad change in general.

Funny too despite the soundstage the M50s are always a blast coming back to in original form. Just the cohesive quality they have, pure entertainment!

May 8, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #11 of 13
Sorry if hijacking a comment is not allowed, but did you have heard the AKG K550? If so, could you compare the HP150 against it?

I have owned both. Given the HP150 is arguably as bright as the K550, I did not suggest it because of what you said earlier about treble with the K550.

May 8, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #12 of 13
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-purpleheart-headphones

Having the original Austria k701, AHD-7000 and M50 have left me pretty content over the years.
The easy solution here is just getting cloth pads for the M-50s and seeing after if the soundstage is changed. I have not tried any velour pads, except HD439 with them, but people love them after a pad change in general.

Funny too despite the soundstage the M50s are always a blast coming back to in original form. Just the cohesive quality they have, pure entertainment!

I actually have velour pads on mine. Changes somewhat, but not enough to to make we want to use them instead of another pair.

May 8, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #13 of 13
I should also ask if anyone has experience with the AKG 553 on massdrop right now. The price seems right. How do they compare to the NAD HP50's? Those are only $50 over what I was hoping to spend.

As an aside. I also have Sennheiser Momentum 2.0. But I think of those more as my travel headphones. The clamping force is too tight on them for me to be entirely comfortable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back