Closed Grado
Mar 24, 2012 at 1:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

hscadore

New Head-Fier
I've got a Grado sr80i. I like it a lot but in places like public spaces it's kind of not possible to use because of it's open design. So, I'm just thinking of buying a closed headphone, in the same price range or a little above and same sound quality. No need for noise cancelation. One thing I value is the look of Grado and it's low impedance as I don't have an amplifier and like the idea of using it anywhere. Again, design does influence on the decision of buying a pair of cans. So if you can give me some hint I would be very glad. Thanks.

Mar 24, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #2 of 7
It is tough to find a good closed headphone in the $100 range compared to the 80i.  Physics is just working against you and I don't find you get into equal sound quality until you spend $200-$300 on a pair.  But staying under $100 I would look at the Urbanears Plattan or the Marshal Major.  Same headphone guts from same manufacturer, Zound industries, just slightly different sound.  I like the Urbanears a bit better for design and sound. 

If I were you I would save up another $100 and buy the Sennheiser 25-1 or really jump up to the $300 range and buy the B&W P5.  Both very portable and good driven by just an iPod.  If you are fanatical about design I would save for the P5's.  Super beautiful.

But if you like the Grado sound you could try one of their IEM's.  I have their Gr8's for cycling and really like them.  Super comfy.  They make an IEM at $100 too, the iGi.  I haven't heard them, but have a lot of faith in Grado.

Mar 24, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #3 of 7
[size=10.0pt]If / when Grado decides to make closed headphones I think they would sound a lot like a warmer version of the Sennheiser HD25’s. The HD25’s have a similar forward, in-your-face sound presentation which should be familiar to any Grado user.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]It should be fairly easy to get your hands on a pair for a listen and a comfort check.  Just walk into any DJ store.[/size]

Mar 25, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
[size=10.0pt]If / when Grado decides to make closed headphones ...[/size]

I think if that day ever arrives, I hope I have my ark built.  It might signal the end of the world.  
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #6 of 7
Thank you all, especially to dgiles, the P5 looks like a very nice headphone (read some reviews out there on the Internet). I do believe there might be a connection between design and sound quality in there. It also comes in hand considering the place I'm planning to buy the headphones.

Any other suggestion from this forum will be warmly welcome.

Oxymoron that's what I meant, thanks for that too.

Mar 31, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #7 of 7
Hi

I love the SR80's and my 325is's, even from my iPod [lossless files]. I have tried both Amperior* [closish to HD25] and B&W P5 and IMO, neither sounds anything like the Grados. I wish I could find a pair of portable closed on ears that did!

Cheers, Julian

* they were new, freshly out of the box. I wonder if I need to revisit a worn in pair...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back