Closed Grado equivalent?
Dec 19, 2011 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Dallasa

New Head-Fier
Hi all, hope it isn't rude to ask for a recommendation here: I've asked in the rec thread but only got one answer, and it wasn't what I was looking for.

What closed headphones would you guys say come closest to the Grado sound (or what I perceive to be the Grado sound, as I haven't heard anything above the 225i)? Or for someone who listens to rock and metal? I love my Grados but there's always moments where I need others to not be able to hear what I'm listening to so this is why I'm asking. My personal budget is $200 but feel free to suggest headphones at any price for future reference.

Dec 19, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #2 of 3

Quote:
Hi all, hope it isn't rude to ask for a recommendation here: I've asked in the rec thread but only got one answer, and it wasn't what I was looking for.

What closed headphones would you guys say come closest to the Grado sound (or what I perceive to be the Grado sound, as I haven't heard anything above the 225i)? Or for someone who listens to rock and metal? I love my Grados but there's always moments where I need others to not be able to hear what I'm listening to so this is why I'm asking. My personal budget is $200 but feel free to suggest headphones at any price for future reference.

Koss Pro DJ 100, but it has more bass (less of a mid-bass hump) and less treble. Not as energetic and forward as the Grado's I've heard, but pretty close.
It has those very engaging mids I love on the Grados I've heard.

Closest match to the mids of the DJ100 i've heard from a Grado is maybe the 225i? Ok, I haven't compared them side by side much, but they have some similarities.

Even closer is the Koss A/250 maybe. Except I haven't figure out if it's semi-open, open or closed! It has a grill, but sounds like semi-open
biggrin.gif
It has much more treble than the DJ100, but hard to find outside Ebay.

Dec 19, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #3 of 3
Hmmmmm, very interesting, I've seen the DJ100's around but have never considered them. Actually looking into them now they seem like a pretty good fit. Your description of the A250 sounds pretty tempting, but they definitely do seem hard to find! I'm going to keep researching as many headphones as possible, but you've definitely given me a couple good potential options.

Anyone know if the Fischer FA-003 is a good match?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back