Closed, Fun-Sounding Cans
May 20, 2016 at 3:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

AReasonableMan

Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I'm going to college in the fall, so i'm about to be in the market for a good pair of closed cans. I own HD-600's and M50x's, but the M50's highs irritate me. I'm looking for something more fun sounding since the only genre my 600's aren't stellar at is Hip-Hop, and i'm starting to get into it. I use an SMSL 793-II to power everything. I'd like to spend $300, but I could spend $400 if I fall in love with something. I've heard great things about the dt770's, but i'm not sure they'd be very different than my M50's. What recommendations can you give me?

May 21, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #5 of 6
+1 on the ZMF products. You also might consider the VMODA m100 or the B&W P7, both of which have a lively subbass life that makes hip-hop fun and interesting. Another to check out is the JVC HA SZ-1000 and SZ-2000.

As for the DT770, if you find the m50 strident, the 770 will make you check yourself into an asylum its highs are so piercing and peaky. A good headphone, but It might not be such a good fit for you.

May 21, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #6 of 6
Hi,

Zach is a very responsive MOT. He informed me that the Blackwood is more similar in tone to an HD600 (with more bass of course) and the Omni is similar to the HD650 but with planar bass. 

If you email him he can even tweak the sound signature a bit according to your taste.

Just to be clear I have zero affiliation with ZMF and have never met Zach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back