Closed Full-size Headphones
Feb 14, 2009 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

drizzt5

New Head-Fier
Recently I had a hard time deciding between A700 and the AD700.

I decided I really wanted closed headphones due to the noise in my house so I decided on the A700.
But I haven't purchased yet and now I have a more flexible budget and stuff.

So let's say within the price range of $100-200, is there any headset I should be considering over the A700 for closed Headphones?

I just want it to provide excellent comfort and too be good for fps games, watching tv shows and movies on my computer, and a little bit of music listening.

Any other suggestions?

Feb 14, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #2 of 15
Denon AHD1001

Feb 14, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #4 of 15
Depends on your tastes. FWIR, they're generally considered to be pretty comparable quality wise, although they're fairly different as far as $100 closed headphones go. I didn't spend a ton of time with the A700's when I tried them out. The only thing I can somewhat conclusively say is that, unamped, the Denons have more bass.

Also, I simply couldn't deal with the gi-freaking-normous size of the A700's.

Feb 14, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 15
Oh yeah, the ES7 gets a lot of love in that price range, though I don't have experience with it either.

Feb 14, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #6 of 15
I love my A700s. They have plenty of bass btw. Perhaps the pair that fjrabon were brand new. They need a few hours of break-in (10-20 imo).

Feb 14, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by geremy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my A700s. They have plenty of bass btw. Perhaps the pair that fjrabon were brand new. They need a few hours of break-in (10-20 imo).

I didn't say the bass was lacking, the Denons just have more, IMHO.

I think the main thing with the A700s though is if you can deal with their size or not. If you can deal with them, they're a great value right now. I came within a hair of buying some, but part of the main reason I was interested in a closed 'phone was for plane trips (I fly a decent amount) and the A700 is a no-go for anything of a mobile nature. Its just too gigantic and clunky. The Denons, youjust pull off and put down. The A700, you have to have a gameplan for where they are going if you need to remove them. You have to worry about inadvertently bumping the antennas into things, they're difficult to fall asleep with them on, etc.

Feb 14, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #9 of 15
You could've gotten A900s for less than $200.

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #12 of 15
Feb 14, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #13 of 15
If by under $200 you meant $206, then yeah, you could have. Also I'm really suspicious about buying from non-certified ATH dealers. Those aren't used, they're bought in Japan and then resold on Ebay. It's probably fine, but its also a risk, AT has warned about knockoffs and stolen gear a good amount. And you'd have to mail them back to japan, have the importer get the warranty honored, then send them back to you, if you had problems.

I mean its still a good deal, but I can completely understand not biting on those.

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by drizzt5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no thx, with the shipping cost of $22 i could get them cheaper on amazon.

edit: well not quite, but I'll stick with the A700.

yeah, and amazon also has the free demo period for its prime shipping program. free 2-day shipping and $4 next day shipping. Just remember to cancel before they charge you the $70 yearly fee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back